• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An experiment

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-08, 14:23

MP, Instant, 34

I bid this hand as a bit of an experiment. I was seriously concerned at the prospect of 3N being passed, and if really trying to win I would not try it, but I was curious.

A balanced hand with lesser strength would open 2N, so notwithstanding the meaning assigned to the 3N rebid I feel that it is the right technical bid for the hand.

The assigned explanation provides South with as few as 19 HCP. But a hand of such weakness would have compensating distribution. Although North is a passed hand it would appear right for South to show distributional features.

In F2F games I am accustomed to positive responses to 2C being forcing to 4H at least, and in some to 4N.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-08, 15:39

I don't think 3nt should be forcing. I think it should be something like 22-23 pts balanced. All the lesser HCP should show their suit.

Of course your hand with all the aces and 3 cd club fit shouldn't bid it. Should be more like hand with K of spade rather than ace.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-August-09, 01:33

If NT is the right strain and 2C opener is balanced and responder has a positive then 4N is not at risk. Using 3N to distinguish between a control rich and a quacky 23 count is one way to use it I suppose. I wonder if gib plays that
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-August-09, 11:07

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-August-09, 01:33, said:

If NT is the right strain and 2C opener is balanced and responder has a positive then 4N is not at risk. Using 3N to distinguish between a control rich and a quacky 23 count is one way to use it I suppose. I wonder if gib plays that

C'mon... you know perfectly well that GIB doesn't use any kind of qualitative factors in evaluating a hand.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-August-09, 11:39

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-August-09, 11:07, said:

C'mon... you know perfectly well that GIB doesn't use any kind of qualitative factors in evaluating a hand.

Indeed. And for as long as that remains, I reject Stephen Tu's objection to my OP.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-August-09, 13:35

It is kind of awkward to construct possible hands. I'd think 3N should deny the intention to bid natural diamonds, just as it does for hearts and spades. So, balanced 22-24 or some Roman-esque hand short in clubs with what range?

#7 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-09, 19:26

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-August-08, 15:39, said:

I don't think 3nt should be forcing.

I agree.
This problem involves bidding system with 5-4 distributions,however it is given for 3 with and two top cards in 5+ cards suit,so opener should bid 4 to explore slam actively instead of 3nt since 3nt might imply no fit in with balanced 22-24hcp,and there are no problem in this Gib hand.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-August-09, 21:36

Whether 3N should be forcing and whether it is the best bid on this hand are two different questions. I am happy to accept that it is not the best bid even if forcing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users