• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Me self destructing again

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-08, 04:04

MP, Instant, 34

Possibly without justification, I had a vision that 4H on a 5-2 fit may scrape home if partner's Hearts are good enough. Personally I would not have bid 2H with North, but it is not the worst thing that GIB has ever been known to do, and some of you out there may disagree with me anyway on that point.

Where we came undone possibly is that the explanation attached to my 4H bid says 3+ Hearts. Given that on the previous round partner has promised 5+ of them, would I risk partner passing a non-forcing 3C bid if I had held 3+ card support? I think that I am showing precisely 2 card support (assuming that it is not a cue bid going slamming in diamonds). Either way, with such poor Hearts North should then know to pull.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-08, 04:12

I would have said the 3 bid is forcing so no danger of being dropped there, although apparently GIB has it as 11+ so maybe it is a style thing.

4 is a very poor bid and probably wouldn't occur to a human with AKJ. It should be no problem to reach 3N.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-August-08, 04:32

It did not occur to me that 3C might be forcing, and I remain unconvinced that GIB reads it that way. The attached explanation certainly does not promise any extras. How high do you reckon that 2H is forcing, and what in response to 2H is opener supposed to rebid with a minimum hand and Clubs?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-August-08, 10:01

broze, on 2015-August-08, 04:12, said:

I would have said the 3 bid is forcing so no danger of being dropped there, although apparently GIB has it as 11+ so maybe it is a style thing.

4 is a very poor bid and probably wouldn't occur to a human with AKJ. It should be no problem to reachbid 3N.

I would also expect 3 to be F1.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-08, 15:46

I expect 3 NF. Strong hands should cue or jump. No matter what 3 F/NF I think should deny 3 cd H.

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-August-08, 16:40

Gibs feature is yet it never mention NT. 3 as 12-21 surely the system can narrow that range.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-08, 16:44

I think 4H was a reasonable shot and should indeed show a doubleton. I don't mind the 2H call but somehow BBO needs to program GIB to understand that 3NT is the priority contract in minor suit auctions.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users