• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favourite Hand

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-August-04, 08:30

As this is now my 1000th post I thought I'd share my favourite hand. It's from about 3 years ago when both me and my then partner were beginners.

I can't remember the vulnerability but at MP I held

Axx
x
AQxxx
AQxx

My partner opened the bidding 1H, I responded 2D and my partner jumped to 3H. I leapt to 4n and partner showed 2 keycards and the Queen (we had just learnt RKCB)

Being optimistic as usual I leapt to 7NT

Lefty lead a diamond and dummy decked with

x
AKJxxxxxx
x
xx

hearts were 2-1 and that was my first ever Grand Slam made in duplicate bridge :P

cheers

Eagles

in all seriousness thanks to everyone that's helped me with my bridge in the course of the first 1000 posts, i've learnt a lot and am very grateful.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-05, 03:26

My first grand took place 3 years after I played my first duplicate, it was european junior teams championships in cardiff 96 (Nuno we were so young :_) ). It also had a trump queen "missing" incident, but reversed:

x
xx
AKQJxxx
AKx

After 1M-2 partner reversed to 3 and I decided to RCKW in clubs so I could locate the key Q as an aditional trick. Partner bid 5 showing 2 aces but no Q, so I bid 5NT (how many kings do you have, not specific king ask). And she bid 6NT which made no sense. So I just blasted 7NT.

When dummy came down with AQ AK in the majors I knew I had to make a finesse... but then suddenly Q also appeared in dummy so I claimed. But I could had claimed before the lead if partner took 4NT as RCKW for clubs and answered 5NT corectly after :(. Won 2 on the board.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-05, 04:40

Not my first grand (which I don't remember), but definitely my favourite. Also the rare experience of making 7X and having regrets. (some people will have seen this before, I'm sure I've put it up here in the past)

You would have thought that with 2 aces and the king of trumps W was pretty confident, but after the A lead I had 14 tricks for +2470

At the other table they played 6X and got a club lead, any of the elimination/throw in lines will work but team mate took a diamond finesse and went -1, meaning the rare bird of a 24 IMP swing without something really stupid and redoubled was missed. I've still never been involved in a 24 IMP swing.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-05, 05:03

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-August-05, 04:40, said:

rare bird of a 24 IMP swing without something really stupid
I rarely criticise opening leads, but I rank leading the Spade Ace rather than Diamond Ace as at least verging on really stupid
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-05, 05:12

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-August-05, 05:03, said:

I rarely criticise opening leads, but I rank leading the Spade Ace rather than Diamond Ace as at least verging on really stupid

Of course, imagine if partner has singleton diamond! A, diamodn rff, A + diamond ruff!

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-05, 07:00

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-August-05, 05:03, said:

I didn't mean it like that, I meant the only 24 IMP swings I'd seen involved a 3200+ penalty rather than making stuff at both tables it was meant as "stupid and redoubled" as one item

#7 User is offline   Left2Right 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-07, 08:48

1,000 is a lot. 8-) Let's hope it wasn't our disparate views that lead you from pillar to post.

#8 User is offline   SelfGovern 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge (huh?), Toastmasters, Data Storage, photography

Posted 2015-August-07, 15:38

About 30 years ago, I was playing in a two-session individual at the Santa Rosa California Regional.

Individuals... are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get. As I moved to my next table about halfway through the first session, I found myself sitting at a table of bridge archetypes.

Across from me: The Little Old Lady, gray-haired, somewhat tremulous in body, but clear in mind and voice. She was tall enough to ride the rides at an amusement park, but they would have wanted her to stand against the sign to be sure.

To my left: The Grizzled Veteran. Closely cropped hair that I'm sure would still have been a crewcut had he had enough of it on top. His jaw was the example of squareness, his manner stiff and erect -- although he might not have been more than 5'6" or so. While there was no smoking on the event floor, my image of him to this day includes a cigar I am sure I only imagined, clenched between his teeth.

Last, on my right was the Sweet Young Thing. I won't bore you with a description of her loveliness or innocence; I will not describe her fair skin or flowing tresses or perfect complexion -- my god, I was married then, and I'm married now, and who knows how much trouble I could stir up with a careless word!

In any case, you're sitting in 4th seat, they are vulnerable and you are not, and you pick up
xx
-
AJxxxx
KJxxx

and hear the auction unfold:

GV LOL SYT You!
2C Dbl 2D ??

I am sure that my partner has some long and good clubs. I am pretty sure my RHO has some diamonds and a decent hand. I am just about positive that N/S (the bad guys) can make at least a slam, as I consider my possible actions.

3C? Hardly seems enough
4C? Better, but...
5C? Everybody's doing that.

Some number of diamonds? How many... but more importantly, why?

I finally come to the conclusion that only one bid accurately describes this hand's playing strength, and also tells partner the most important thing: what to lead!

GV LOL SYT You!
2C Dbl 2D 4H(!)

I am sorry to say that history did not preserve the rest of the auction. It probably had something to do with GV first doubling, only to hear SYT pull to 5D. In any case, they ended up, confused, in 6NT by SYT, and despite my lead-directing bid, I found myself on lead.

My 4th-best club hits the table, and dummy comes down with
AKJT
AKQJTxxxx
-
-
clearly one of the most nearly perfect hands in bridge.

My partner, the blessed LOL, won her ace of clubs and returned a club to capture whatever card SYT had. I made sure to cash the diamond ace before continuing clubs. With six clubs and a diamond, we scored seven tricks for a +600.

SYT had Qx of spades (the Queen being the only card that mattered) and a heart or two. The grand Slam in hearts was so cold that N/S got below average for bidding only six and making (as everyone did) seven -- I don't think a single N/S pair bid less than 6H, nor made less than 13 tricks, save at our table: the only plus score for E/W in the entire field of... well over a hundred tables, probably over 200, I wish I could remember!

But no good deed goes unpunished. Somebody talked, it seems, behind my back. Session two, the next night, came, and as I would sit down at each table, somebody would invariably point and say, "Oh, you're the one who got that plus on board xx!" And even though I played brilliantly, my partners thought I was ever-so-much-more clever than I actually was. Seriously -- on hand after hand, I made a trick (or two!) more than the field. But sadly, I would be in 4S off one because my partner raised on an underpointed hand, while the field would be in 2S making.

I think I ended the second session about a half-board below average, for what it's worth, and didn't come anywhere near placing in the overalls. But that one hand, and that just right 4H call, will be mine to remember forever.
Liberty breeds responsibility

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-11, 10:22

My favorite grand was perpetrated back in the day by a guy that is closing in on Grand Life Master at probably his first NABC.

He picked up something like AKQJxxx AKxx xx void against Meckwell and heard his partner open a weak 2!

So he bid exlusion blackwood..... on diamonds, got a zero response and bid 7.

As the A hit the table, Meck (or Well?) said "You forgot about this one".
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-12, 15:01

View Postggwhiz, on 2015-August-11, 10:22, said:

My favorite grand was perpetrated back in the day by a guy that is closing in on Grand Life Master at probably his first NABC.

He picked up something like AKQJxxx AKxx xx void against Meckwell and heard his partner open a weak 2!

So he bid exlusion blackwood..... on diamonds, got a zero response and bid 7.

As the A hit the table, Meck (or Well?) said "You forgot about this one".

Hoodwinking those two is a hell of a boast! That said, if they credited him with competence, the auction seems deeply suspicious - like cueing a suit then blasting slam over P's sign-off to 'persuade your opponents not to lead that suit' - so letting him get away with it was a bit of an insult. I hope he suitably counter-gloated :P
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-12, 16:55

View PostJinksy, on 2015-August-12, 15:01, said:

I hope he suitably counter-gloated :P

Not his style and no one would know except that his over the moon happy pard told everyone.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users