BBO Discussion Forums: An appropriate sentence? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An appropriate sentence? Play your cards right

Poll: 14 years (8 member(s) have cast votes)

14 years for rigging LIBOR. Brucie asks you:

1. Higher!! (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. About right (5 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

3. Lower!! (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-03, 14:38

In the grand tradition of Bruce Forsyth's Play your cards right ...
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-03, 14:48

Too harsh unless a load of other people subsequently get similar, if they do I'm OK with it.

#3 User is offline   dave251164 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-03, 15:00

Sounds like everyone was at it, before him and after him. They are just making an example of him. The justice system seems to punish financial crimes very severely. He could have committed manslaughter and got a lot less!

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-August-03, 16:19

View Postdave251164, on 2015-August-03, 15:00, said:

Sounds like everyone was at it, before him and after him. They are just making an example of him. The justice system seems to punish financial crimes very severely. He could have committed manslaughter and got a lot less!

This has just been discussed on the radio, the argument was made that he essentially robbed a bank, and the sentence was similar.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-August-05, 12:31

The justice system seems to punish financial crimes very severely.

Does it? How many people are in prison as a result of causing the Great Recession?

One guy robbing a bank gets a harsh sentence. A collection of big companies robbing the entire economy get slaps on the wrist.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-05, 12:41

View Postbarmar, on 2015-August-05, 12:31, said:

Does it? How many people are in prison as a result of causing the Great Recession?

One guy robbing a bank gets a harsh sentence. A collection of big companies robbing the entire economy get slaps on the wrist.

If we're going to put the people responsible for causing the Great Recession in jail, we should start with everyone living who's ever been on the board of governors of the federal reserve system.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-August-05, 17:29

I think that financial crimes are a case where deterrence through substantial (14 years, even if halved through good behavior is substantial) might actually work. Your corner street thug often can't think five days, or maybe five hours, ahead. So the only deterrence of a sentence is that when he is in jail he (probably) is not committing crimes. But someone like the person here discussed can actually think ahead and the threat of a long jail term might make an impression on him..

I have never been impressed by arguments that other people are doing the same thing. When they get caught and convicted give them the same sentence. You deal now with the convicted criminal that is in front of you.

So I voted "about right"
Ken

#8 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-06, 02:16

I find it remarkable that important decisions are made using an index that is so easily manipulable.

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-August-06, 02:57

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-August-05, 12:41, said:

If we're going to put the people responsible for causing the Great Recession in jail, we should start with everyone living who's ever been on the board of governors of the federal reserve system.

There are some who deliberately damaged the system for their own gain and there are some who just did their job in an incompetent way. If we are talking criminal justice then it makes a difference.

Sending more bankers (or civil cervants, or politicians) in jail may have the benefit, apart from crime deterence, that the upper echolon starts thinking constructively about how to deal with fellons. Still, I would strongly be opposed to jailing people for incompetence.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-August-06, 04:18

Robbing a bank normally involves some level of violence or menace, by professional career criminals.

I don't know enough about the details, but it would not surprise me if this individual thought that he was acting perfectly normally at the time.

Anyway, I think that they are just using the comparison as an excuse.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-06, 05:54

The justice system seems to punish financial crimes very severely rarely.

FYP
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#12 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2015-August-06, 08:28

View Postgordontd, on 2015-August-06, 05:54, said:

FYP

Crimes against banks are severely punished. Crimes by banks, not so much, as that is what the transfer of wealth is all about.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-August-06, 09:00

In Canada, people who are in a position of trust, with the ability to do great financial harm to others, are generally punished more severely than someone who, for example, breaks into a vacant home and steals items of great value.

The problem is that our financial system is built, to a large degree, on the assumption that those in positions of power will not abuse that power. Human nature being what it is, that assumption will often be found to be erroneous, so one of the means of reducing the number of lapses in honesty is to punish with relative severity. In the case of LIBOR manipulation, the degree of trust, the vulnerability, and the potential for significant harm to many people and organizations warranted a severe sentence, so I think this was about right.

The fact that it would seem likely that other abuses of equal or greater magnitude may go unpunished is absolutely not a reason to be lenient when punishing those who are convicted.

It is difficult to prosecute sophisticated financial crimes, because in some cases the investigators lack the financial sophistication to detect the crime, the access to gather the evidence, the ability to show that criminal intent was present (as opposed to negligence or incompetence), the political will to prosecute, or the confidence that a Judge or jury would be able to understand the issues sufficiently well as to not have reasonable doubt, or flat out confusion, or some combination of these and, I expect, factors I am not currently thinking about.

Since sophisticated criminals are more inclined than the average street thug to weigh costs and benefits, the most obvious factor the system can manipulate to offset the perceived low risk of conviction is the consequences that flow from conviction. Increasing the conviction rate would arguably be more effective, but would be far more difficult to put into practice.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-August-06, 09:44

View Postkenberg, on 2015-August-05, 17:29, said:

I think that financial crimes are a case where deterrence through substantial (14 years, even if halved through good behavior is substantial) might actually work. Your corner street thug often can't think five days, or maybe five hours, ahead. So the only deterrence of a sentence is that when he is in jail he (probably) is not committing crimes. But someone like the person here discussed can actually think ahead and the threat of a long jail term might make an impression on him..

I think most of them will still think "It won't happen to me." They're upper class, well-educated, (mostly) white men -- they don't usually get sent to jail, at worst they get hit with a big fine. That's why this particular sentence is in the news, it's a "man bites dog" story.

Especially if everyone else is doing it, the chance that you'll be the one they decide to "make an example of" is pretty low.

#15 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-07, 11:37

View Postbarmar, on 2015-August-05, 12:31, said:

They still have to catch them, and prove that what they did was against the law.

My impression from the outside is that the people who prosecute financial crimes (federal regulators and the U.S. attorney in Manhattan, basically) would love love love to throw more people in the clink for that sort of thing, but the laws are tricky and their resources are thin.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-August-07, 14:01

"Kill them all. The Lord will know his own." ;)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users