BBO Discussion Forums: view all 4 hands when you are dummy - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

view all 4 hands when you are dummy

#1 User is offline   ralph_p 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-03, 12:22

is it possible to view all hands when you are dummy on the web based BBO?

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-04, 10:44

Probably not, and this is deliberate. BBO found that dummy would notice that the hand was "done" and say things that would help declarer, or would pipe up "wdp" when partner guessed right on the critical finesse (and of course, not when they guessed wrong, but fourth hand held up).

It would be nice to have this option available; if we could count on dummies to be dummies. Unfortuanately, too many are showoffs or too impatient, and kill the nice things for the rest of us.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-04, 10:51

I suppose that you could have it as a table option settable by the table host or tourney host, disabled by default. If you don't like the environment set by the table host, try another environment.

I can understand that the option to override the default setting may not be appropriate in events that offer master points or prizes, but again the tourney host will be aware of that.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-August-04, 11:02

View Postralph_p, on 2015-August-03, 12:22, said:

is it possible to view all hands when you are dummy on the web based BBO?

View Postmycroft, on 2015-August-04, 10:44, said:

Probably not, and this is deliberate. BBO found that dummy would notice that the hand was "done" and say things that would help declarer, or would pipe up "wdp" when partner guessed right on the critical finesse (and of course, not when they guessed wrong, but fourth hand held up).It would be nice to have this option available; if we could count on dummies to be dummies. Unfortunately, too many are showoffs or too impatient, and kill the nice things for the rest of us.
IMO the software should prevent dummy from chatting to declarer during the play. Dummy's premature remarks of "Claim!" and "WDP" are at best annoying. There's no need for dummy to ask declarer "Having none?" Dummy should still be allowed to answer defenders' questions).

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-August-05, 12:17

View Postnige1, on 2015-August-04, 11:02, said:

IMO the software should prevent dummy from chatting to declarer during the play. Dummy's premature remarks of "Claim!" and "WDP" are at best annoying. There's no need for dummy to ask declarer "Having none?" Dummy should still be allowed to answer defenders' questions).

If this were done, it should be a table option. In a friendly, casual game, you might not be concerned about these things, and want allow dummy to say things like "brb" or ask declarer about his dinner plans.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users