BBO Discussion Forums: Show double dummy results for played hands. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Show double dummy results for played hands. Like they do in live tournaments.

#1 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-02, 15:25

GIB is nice for exploring the results of plays, but it would be nice to see what the possible making contracts are for hands that have already been played.
In tourneys and clubs in the printed record, this is done for every hand, showing the maximum for each declarer and strain.

#2 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-13, 23:06

Hello, is anybody from BBO actually look at the suggestions and make replies?

Or does this all go into a black hole............

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-13, 23:20

I can't speak for BBO. I have periodically thought that this would be a nice feature (and still do). But in this case I wonder whether cost may be a significant disincentive. GIBs (which provide the DD analysis) are rentable for a fee, not (just) to fleece a demand but (also) because they place on BBO a drain on server resources that come at a cost to BBO. On any individual hand that cost would be trivial but I speculate that doing it for every hand may be noticeable as well as perhaps introducing delays.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-August-15, 02:28

We take all suggestions seriously. But we generally don't reply, because it's not appropriate to discuss future plans in public. Especially if we say we're working on something, then circumstances make it difficult to implement in the time frame we announced.

We put these suggestions on our to-do list, and announce them when we do it.

I think you'll find this is how most businesses operate. Companies that announce future plans often get into trouble when it turns out it was "vaporware".

#5 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 17:22

View Postbarmar, on 2015-August-15, 02:28, said:

I think you'll find this is how most businesses operate. Companies that announce future plans often get into trouble when it turns out it was "vaporware".

Yes, and since I've been working for a legal-news provider I've found that this can lead to lawsuits by investors. Best to avoid any mention of future changes until they are certain.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-August-17, 12:04

View PostGreenMan, on 2015-August-15, 17:22, said:

Yes, and since I've been working for a legal-news provider I've found that this can lead to lawsuits by investors. Best to avoid any mention of future changes until they are certain.

Luckily BBO is privately held, so we're not subject to all the disclosure rules that publicly-traded companies are.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users