BBO Discussion Forums: The Official BBO Netflix Movie/Show Referral Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Official BBO Netflix Movie/Show Referral Thread Hint: I did not like Mad Men

#101 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-September-18, 23:02

Watched "Sprung" on Prime Video/FreeVee this summer. It was made by the same creator as "My Name is Earl" and "Raising Hope", and has similar sensibilities -- if you liked them, I think you'll like this. The stars include Garrett Dillahunt and Martha Plympton, who were the parents on Raising Hope.

It takes place at the beginning of the pandemic, and a bunch of non-violent prisoners are released from a prison because of it. Dillahunt plays a guy who was sentenced for a low-level drug offense. He, his cellmate, and his in-prison girlfriend (a con artist convicted for identity theft) go to live with his cellmate's mother (Plympton). Dillahunt wants to go straight, but he can't get any legitimate work, so they have to commit crimes to make money; but since he wants to be good, he'll only steal against bad people (you can see the shadow of MNiE's premise of redemption). The running story is about them trying to pull a big heist against a corrupt politician who's making a killing with insider trading in a vaccine manufacturer.

What's most interesting is that all the characters seem like stereotypes at first, but except for the politician they all have more sides to them.

It's only 10 30-minute episodes, but he packed lots of character building and plot into it.

#102 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-September-19, 10:17

View Postbarmar, on 2022-September-18, 23:02, said:

Watched "Sprung" on Prime Video/FreeVee this summer. It was made by the same creator as "My Name is Earl" and "Raising Hope", and has similar sensibilities -- if you liked them, I think you'll like this. The stars include Garrett Dillahunt and Martha Plympton, who were the parents on Raising Hope.

It takes place at the beginning of the pandemic, and a bunch of non-violent prisoners are released from a prison because of it. Dillahunt plays a guy who was sentenced for a low-level drug offense. He, his cellmate, and his in-prison girlfriend (a con artist convicted for identity theft) go to live with his cellmate's mother (Plympton). Dillahunt wants to go straight, but he can't get any legitimate work, so they have to commit crimes to make money; but since he wants to be good, he'll only steal against bad people (you can see the shadow of MNiE's premise of redemption). The running story is about them trying to pull a big heist against a corrupt politician who's making a killing with insider trading in a vaccine manufacturer.

What's most interesting is that all the characters seem like stereotypes at first, but except for the politician they all have more sides to them.

It's only 10 30-minute episodes, but he packed lots of character building and plot into it.

Thank you for this-have been looking on prime but didn’t know what to pick.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#103 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-31, 15:30

I'm finally getting around to watching the Ken Burns documentary, The US and the Holocaust, Link to PBS page.

Like all the Ken Burns documentaries I have watched, this was excellent. Unlike most Ken Burns documentaries I have watched, this was difficult to watch because of the subject matter and the ugly glare from shining a light on a very dark period in America.

The similarities between pre-WWII America and today are unsettling. There was a cult like racist and Nazi wannabe celebrity Charles Lindbergh, there was rampant antisemitism and racism on a wide scale that was displayed openly and proudly. Once large numbers of Jews from Nazi occupied or adjacent countries tried to immigrate to the US for obvious reasons, large numbers of Americans were opposed to immigration, and antisemites that controlled US immigration did everything they could to decrease immigration numbers. There was the original America First organization which was coopted by antisemites like Lindbergh.

Whatever I thought I knew about that time was clearly an overestimation, as there were many facts and details that Burns covers that were important enough that I think I should have known, but didn't.

#104 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-October-31, 16:21

View Postjohnu, on 2022-October-31, 15:30, said:

I'm finally getting around to watching the Ken Burns documentary, The US and the Holocaust, Link to PBS page.

Like all the Ken Burns documentaries I have watched, this was excellent. Unlike most Ken Burns documentaries I have watched, this was difficult to watch because of the subject matter and the ugly glare from shining a light on a very dark period in America.

The similarities between pre-WWII America and today are unsettling. There was a cult like racist and Nazi wannabe celebrity Charles Lindbergh, there was rampant antisemitism and racism on a wide scale that was displayed openly and proudly. Once large numbers of Jews from Nazi occupied or adjacent countries tried to immigrate to the US for obvious reasons, large numbers of Americans were opposed to immigration, and antisemites that controlled US immigration did everything they could to decrease immigration numbers. There was the original America First organization which was coopted by antisemites like Lindbergh.

Whatever I thought I knew about that time was clearly an overestimation, as there were many facts and details that Burns covers that were important enough that I think I should have known, but didn't.

I agree it was difficult mainly from my own ignorance of our US history - the history so many want silenced.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#105 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-07, 17:39

View Postjohnu, on 2022-October-31, 15:30, said:

The similarities between pre-WWII America and today are unsettling.

The similarities between pre-WWII Earth and today are unsettling. Almost as if it were planned to try again by some interests

Let's just say that apparently the gods have it in for us

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users