BBO Discussion Forums: Another 4NT call - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Another 4NT call

#1 User is offline   Ethel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-July-30, 10:11

I was South and opened 1 My LHO overcalled 4 My partner (N) now bid 4NT. Is 4NT Ace asking or showing the other two suits (probable 5-5?
Thanks for your replies

#2 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-30, 13:50

Neither. It should be to play, with a balanced hand, a diamond stopper, and around 15-18 hcp.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-July-30, 14:04

View PostEthel, on 2015-July-30, 10:11, said:

I was South and opened 1 My LHO overcalled 4 My partner (N) now bid 4NT. Is 4NT Ace asking or showing the other two suits (probable 5-5?
Without discussion, I would guess:
  • Double = NEG. "Action", showing values.
  • 4M = NAT. To play.
  • 4N = RKC. Agreeing s.
  • 5 = NAT. To play.
  • 5 = UCB. Perhaps asking for M-preference, initially at least

#4 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-July-30, 23:50

RKC is less likely to be useful playing an offshoot of 5 card majors and strong NT, since common minimum hands include only any 3 clubs and close to 12 -13 hcp and bad splits advertised. So, in Standard American 4NT is natural in this sequence, which I believe is the world standard, as also voted into Bridge World Standard.

corrected 7/31 0821am Thanks Vampyr

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-31, 01:06

I think that "to play" is a slightly lazy description of any of the bids. While opener may require a lot to move, he does after all have a 10 point range (or so).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-31, 01:47

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-July-30, 23:50, said:

RKC is less likely to be useful playing an offshoot of 5 card majors and weak NT, since common minimum hands include only any 3 clubs and close to 12 -13 hcp and bad splits advertised.

I don't quite understand. These hands would have opened 1NT.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-31, 02:16

It doesn't make a lot of sense for 4NT to show the majors, because it would require playing them at the 5-level when there was still a chance to play in one of them at the 4-level (either by making a takeout double or simply by guessing to bid one of the suits). So if 4NT showed the majors, responder would really only be bidding it with a slam try.

Whether it should be natural or RKC in clubs is less clear. I suggest you and your partner pick whichever of those is more intuitive to you.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users