AJxxx

Kxx
xx
AKxxx
Qxx

Bidding...

1D - (1H) - 2C - (P)
3C - (P) - ???

Does any one have any idea on how for North to ask South to bid 3NT with a Spade stopper. I know that 3H would be asking for a stopper in hearts, but to ask for a stopper in the other unbid suit ??? It gets me !

Should North have bid something else then 2C and procede an other way ?

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-30, 07:50

you can't ask for a spade stop. you just bid 3nt and trust partner to stop spades as the opps haven't bid them. yes, this means you can't make partner declarer which is sometimes unfortunate.

#3 User is offline   baraka 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-30, 11:26

To the person who deleted his post... please leave it. It might be helpfull to someone else later

#4 User is offline   baraka 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-04, 10:06

View Postbaraka, on 2015-July-30, 11:26, said:

To the person who deleted his post... please leave it. It might be helpfull to someone else later

OK. He wont put it back, so...

If opps bid 2 suits, the suit you bid promises stoppers in that suit and asks part to bid NT with stoppers in the other suit.

#5 User is offline   DA Sherman 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-06, 17:10

Why not just bid 3H? It's forcing, constructive, shows a holding in hearts and invites partner to make a descriptive bid in context. With spade values, opener will bid 3nt. Otherwise you will probably hear 4C (not forcing chez moi) from him/her, and then you have to decide whether to pass or bid 5C

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2015-August-06, 17:21

If 3H asks for a heart stopper, then 3S should logically ask for a spade stopper. However, I don't think many people would have that agreement. If you are in a redundancy situation, however, be happy that the artificial ask is 3H. A partner who also realizes that problem should reply to 3H by bidding 3S with a feature there. If partner shocks you with a 3NT call, you might want to pull to 5C.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-August-06, 21:30

As a rule both players cannot bypass spades.

If north 2C could be done with 4S south 3C must deny 4S.
(similar to 1D-2C-2Nt auction where a 4-4M fit should be impossible, if not I strongly suggest you to change your system)

A spades fit should be impossible as this point.

So if your style is to show than 3H show a H stop and 3S show a S stop adn deny half a stop in H.

If you style is to ask than 3S ask for a S stopper and promise a H stopper.

I give preference to half a stopper so i would wrongside 3NT here.

3H-3S-3NT

3H = something in H
3S = nothing in H, S stopper
3NT = I have a full H stop so by inference i was looking for a S stop.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#8 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-07, 00:24

Even though we probably don't have a spade fit, being able to use 3S as a natural forward going bid to describe a shapely hand with slam aspirations is very valuable. It also has the advantage of simplicity!

On hands that want to scramble towards 3NT without a spade stopper, you're forced to choose between 3D (forcing) and 3H (ostensibly asking for a heart stopper, although partner can offer 3S).

Even if I did have a way to ask for a spade stopper (artificial 3S for example), I'm not sure it would be the best choice. Bidding 3S would give LHO the chance to double for a spade lead and even if we do end up in 5C, 11 tricks is a long way away. I'd prefer to avoid revealing the spade weakness and just bid 3NT.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users