BBO vs Cayne

#1 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-25, 15:46

How would you bid these hands?
Neither table found the top spot.

Our auction:

3 suggests some extras (we play good-bad 2N).

The other table went
1[16+] (P) 1[0-8] (X)
P[19+] (3) 3 (P)
4 (P) 5 (AP)

so that was 5imps in.

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-25, 17:08

3 looks like a good spot to me. In any major game you're likely to get forced in diamonds. In 3N they're just going to set the suit up and run a lot of tricks against you.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-July-25, 19:39

Call me stupid but cant defense cash their 2 aces and exit a club. then u cant get to board for a finesse or to cash Q? so 5 shouldn't make.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-25, 20:43

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-July-25, 19:39, said:

Call me stupid but cant defense cash their 2 aces and exit a club. then u cant get to board for a finesse or to cash Q? so 5 shouldn't make.

I think he meant 5 went down and 3 made +1 and they won 5 imps. But he thinks (i am guessing) we should be playing 4M.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-25, 21:20

NV at IMPs, 3C feels plenty high enough, you have a lot of work to do in 4M.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-25, 22:47

4 suffers badly. Say E led a honor, then cashed A and played 2nd honor forcing us to ruff with A or K. Now they always take another trick and since we lack entries they will also score K even if it was onside. You can make if W has 4 spades + 3rd club by refusing to ruff 2nd . (ironically you need 4-2 spades not 3-3 Posted Image)

4 by S is slightly better. But far from being a decent contract. Even when everything is friendly (3-3 K onside, and 3-2 clubs E holding Ax , it can be made, but way too double dummy for my taste.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   rhelle 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-July-26, 07:37

Cathy and I bid the hands as they stood. 3S denies a 6th S, as we'd jump with that. Over 4C she could have temporised with 4D (already limited her hand to 6-8 with 3S) allowing me to bid 4H. Not much point with a doubleton. The game is aggressive, certainly. If Cathy holds the HK and DJ the bidding is the same, and the contract playable. Hard to stay out of game, IMPs scoring and 24+ points together.

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-July-26, 07:46

View Postrhelle, on 2015-July-26, 07:37, said:

Cathy and I bid the hands as they stood. 3S denies a 6th S, as we'd jump with that. Over 4C she could have temporised with 4D (already limited her hand to 6-8 with 3S) allowing me to bid 4H. Not much point with a doubleton. The game is aggressive, certainly. If Cathy holds the HK and DJ the bidding is the same, and the contract playable. Hard to stay out of game, IMPs scoring and 24+ points together.

Welcome, Rob :)

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-26, 09:09

View Postantonylee, on 2015-July-25, 15:46, said:

3 suggests some extras (we play good-bad 2N).

If 3C showed a hand which would have jump-shifted to 3C without the interference, North might still revalue his initial 6 count down to 4. So, we could still thank East for keeping us low.

With a Forcing Club opening and no interference, it would require some good judgement to stay out of a bad game.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-26, 09:16

View Postrhelle, on 2015-July-26, 07:37, said:

I think with shapely hands, it is way more important to start showing our suits than it is to give a point count.

Here, I think it is folly to upgrade the hand to 19+ in order to not describe our shape. Just bid your suits in their natural order and let nature take its course.

#11 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-26, 09:24

3c is forcing pass not an option, 3d from north th suit 3hts from n or 3s now at teams bid either major game and pray or pass at three level at pairs

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-July-26, 10:27

On the actual hands, game is poor.
If your bidding methods can find out why -- then good for you -- and you should stay out of it,
Otherwise, with 24 combined HCP, it seems pusillanimous to try to stop on a sixpence at the 3-level (which might not be safe, anyway).
I think you should struggle to game, preferably 4, and hope for the best.

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-26, 15:00

View Postzillahandp, on 2015-July-26, 09:24, said:

3c is forcing pass not an option, 3d from north th suit 3hts from n or 3s now at teams bid either major game and pray or pass at three level at pairs

3C might have been treated as expecting North to bid again. But, North judged well not to bid again with those 3 queens -- one of which his LHO told him was worthless.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users