BBO Discussion Forums: When to alert and assessing damage - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When to alert and assessing damage

#1 User is offline   schulken 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-24, 09:53

ACBL Club game. Both A pairs. Match points.

I think this is benign as I don't think it would have any effect on the outcome but I thought it was interesting.

I didn't see the rest of the auction but E declared in 6NT making 7 for a top board. N called me to the table after E opened 1, W alerted the bid and S overcalled 2. S did not inquire about the alert prior to making his bid. N advised me away from the table that his partner's bid had different meanings if the 1 bid was precision v. a forcing 1 opening - N said their agreement with a natural or forcing 1 bid, he would be showing only; if the opponents used precision, his bid would show and a minor. He was concerned that W might claim damage if he (W) called without this information - the information being that S's bid had more than one possible meaning at that point - and that he (N) couldn't ask what the alert was since it wasn't his turn to call (Rule 20F.1.). I told him that, based on this information and the auction to this point, he should alert his partner's bid. If W inquired about the alert, he would then have the right to ask E about W's alert. Now knowing the meaning of the 1 bid, N may correctly answer W's inquiry.

Of course, as it turned out, W did not inquire so it was a moot point. However, I believe my answer was correct in that I was attempting to avoid a call being made by W without access to information that he was entitled to. Do you agree with my ruling? The alternative would be for N to remain silent until his turn to call, then inquire about the alert, and then alert his partner's bid. That just doesn't seem right to me.

#2 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-July-24, 14:49

If the meaning of South's call depends on the meaning of East's opening, which North doesn't know, then North simply alerts the 2H bid. Easy as that. When/if asked he says 'it depends on the maning of 1C' and can either give all the alternatives (probably the correct legal approach) or find out at this point what 1C meant.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users