Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB doesn't trust me

#1 User is offline   TheKurgan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-July-23, 15:04

Not only did GIB err by not bidding Michael's, GIB didn't trust me.

GIB's hand:

S - A 8
H - A 6 4 3 2
D - 9
C - A 10 9 5 2

My hand:

S - K 9 4 2
H - K J 5
D - A 10 8 5
C - Q 6

West was dealer and opened 2S. GIB's first error was not bidding Michaels, which would have let me get to the 4H game, which loses only two tricks.

Anyway, GIB overcalled 3C. I looked at my hand and saw one, if not two spade stoppers and one, if not two, diamond stoppers. I bid 3NT, which GIB should have PASSED.

GIB bids 4H. The explanation when I hovered over the bid said it was 5+ clubs, 4+ hearts. I didn't want to play in a Moysian fit with the distinct possibility of spade ruffs from East, so I bid 5C, thinking GIB was likely void in diamonds and pulled my 3NT fearing transportation issues. No such luck.

As you can see, 5C loses a club, a heart, and a diamond.

First of all, Michael's should be automatic over 2S. Why cloud the issue by bidding 3C? I agree that GIB shouldn't bid 3H with that barren ewheat field of a suit, but 3C is terrible. Worse, GIB showed no trust in my judgment in pulling 3NT, which makes at least four (four clubs, three hearts, two spades, and a diamond). Against bad defense, it also makes 5. That would have given me +7 IMPs instead of -5. A 12-IMP swing would have put me in the running.

Thanks for all you do, but GIB needs constant improvement!

Charles Dalmas (aka TheKurgan)

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-July-23, 15:12

Michaels over a weak 2 shows a much better hand your forcing p to bid at 4 level with possibly 0 pts and no guarantee of a fit. Normal Michaels your getting in the way of their auction. Here it could be your hand so you want to bid constructively so 3H shows a bigger hand.

3C bad, chance of finding game better with 3H and still possible to play in clubs or 3N if partner short in hearts
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-24, 11:58

Agree with Steve. At least we all agree that GIB's choice, 3C, is terrible. Realistic choices are Pass and 3H, and I am sure most would try the extremely risky 3H, recognizing that Pass has its significant risks as well.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users