• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what would you bid?

#21 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-24, 06:57

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-July-24, 06:21, said:

One high card (the club ace) is enough to set them with a ruff if their clubs are 4-3, and we are beating them on raw power when partner has two aces or a working king.

The distribution on this hand is an outlier. My guess is that they will go off about 2/3 of the time.

On partners's hand, if I had accidentally passed in first seat, I would double 1 and then bid 3, and I am not just resulting.

I would have opened 1 and overcalled 1 rather than doubled.

Phil nails it, Axxx is enough to beat this most of the time.

#22 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-28, 10:21

View Postdboxley, on 2015-July-23, 05:22, said:

Are you saying that you agree with the pass over 3D? And now you want to punish your partner for the second double? Do you really think the double is based on defensive cards? Your partner is contracting for the 3 level as a passed hand opposite a passed hand. I would expect some distribution and playing strength and very little defense. Passing is a good way to ensure that he/she never plays with you again. (and that would probably be a very good decision on his/her part)

Pass over 3D seems totally sound. This is a partscore hand and you seem at least as likely, if not more likely, to go positive defending 3d as playing 3M in your rank suits with AKx opposite shortage most likely. Its also extremely unlikely that partner has a 5 card major, if he is 4504 eve I would expect a 1H overcall of 1d and follow it up with a double if necessary. Opposite a passed hand all of your best upside will come when you have a 9 card major fit, and you are most likely to discover that by bidding your 5 card major. Your partner didnt open in third so he probably doesnt have a 5 card major on any hand where you want to compete! To double twice with a diamond void he must be 4405 exactly. So it looks like slow losers in both majors. Its also impossible for partner to be 55 in the majors, he had an easy 2d bid, so I am not at all sure what all these very distributional hands are? Seems he is most likely a 4414 11 count that really feels bad about passing.

Over 3d doubled I don't mind. Suspect that pass is likely the best expectation, but its obviously very high variance. I expect them to be able to make some of the time. On this hand in isolation I would pass. If I was 15 up with 8 to play I might not pass, just take my -100 in 3M.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#23 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-28, 10:28

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-July-24, 06:21, said:

On partners's hand, if I had accidentally passed in first seat, I would double 1 and then bid 3, and I am not just resulting.

Surely its almost infinitely better to bid 1H and then double 3D? Partner might be holding KJT9 diamonds or something.....

I really hate any style where this hand is not a 1H overcall in preference to double.

#24 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-03, 10:35

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-July-28, 10:28, said:

Surely its almost infinitely better to bid 1H and then double 3D? Partner might be holding KJT9 diamonds or something.....

I really hate any style where this hand is not a 1H overcall in preference to double.

I think it matters how many bids you think you can take. If I think I will only have one opportunity to bid I would double.

#25 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-07, 05:19

View Postdboxley, on 2015-August-03, 10:35, said:

I think it matters how many bids you think you can take. If I think I will only have one opportunity to bid I would double.

Well I disagree, since when I'm weaker its even more imperative that we play in a 9 card fit if we are going to compete but it clearly doesn't apply to this hand since that person doubled again at the three level. If you are prepared to double at the three level you should overcall 1H.

#26 User is offline   beautyleg 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I am finding advanced+ players to enjoy bridge together.

Posted 2015-August-07, 07:03

Providing that you are still at the seat now. The first double shows 2-D and 3+support in all the other suit and 9-11points. The second double must show a void and 11points due to 3-level. Pass is usually not a good bid because at least one of opps must be distributed. It's to say opps may beat you by their distribution. You can do nothing but bid 3H to trust your p.

However, your p couldn't pass 11hcp and a void first. And the second double on 3-level is never a good bid because opps have dominated the process. [removed]

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-August-07, 07:07

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users