• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fielded psyche? EBU

#1 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-22, 05:47

Match points.
North's 2 opening is ostensibly Fantunes style (intermediate (10-13 HCPs), unbalanced (either 6H, or 5H with a 4+ minor and more shapely than 5422), but potentially undisciplined in 3rd seat. West's double of 2 is for penalties.

Should North be bidding 3 on either the 2nd or 3rd round of the bidding? If South turns out not to have a genuine 2 bid, has North fielded this psyche?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 06:11

I think that all of North's passes are fine.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 06:12

If North bids 3S on the second round of the bidding (after West's X) then he belongs in a mental hospital :/

On the third round it is less clear. What would 2S normally show?

ahydra

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 06:21

No, you are allowed to smell partner's psyche (or misbid, or lead-directing bid on AQ-tight, or fancy convention which you forgot yourself, or whatever) in this situation.

BTW I don't agree that North would belong in a mental hospital if he raised immediately. West's double could be based on a 3-card spades and East could maybe have a monster with a long minor (somewhat depending on their style). If he raised in the third round, however, it would be crazy because now East has shows that he has some spades also so partner can't have more than four.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 06:47

View Postahydra, on 2015-July-22, 06:12, said:

What would 2S normally show?

2 in response to an opening 2 in 1st or 2nd seat would be an artificial relay implying at least invitational values, but all responses to a 3rd or 4th seat 2-level opening are natural (and non-forcing). Over intervention, most bids would be natural and non-forcing anyway, so I think that is what both members of the partnership assumed applied here.

#6 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 07:33

I think it's normal to pass on the second round, hoping it will get passed out. I think you're allowed to realise partner has psyched on the third round, by which point his bidding makes no sense (but not before).

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 07:42

The only call north fielded was west's penalty double.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 07:48

of course not but ebu rules are excessive on this matter, essentially assuming that people who like to psyche are all closet cheats.

#9 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-July-22, 07:57

I can't really see anything wrong here. North is limited and South is a passed hand. (If South wasn't passed then I'd be wondering why North hasn't redoubled (if for strength).)

North opens with a deviation from Fantunes and South bids 2 Spades (natural)
North is happy to play in 2 Spades Doubled and it is obvious when South runs to 3 Hearts that it is a psyche (if not an inadvertent 2 Spade bid) for the simple reason that the partnership is now a level higher.

It is quite close to an amber psyche - which would be awarded automatically if both players had psyched - but as mentioned I regard North's bid as a deviation and their undisciplined approach has been declared to the other side.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#10 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-July-22, 14:56

View PostWellSpyder, on 2015-July-22, 06:47, said:

2 in response to an opening 2 in 1st or 2nd seat would be an artificial relay implying at least invitational values, but all responses to a 3rd or 4th seat 2-level opening are natural (and non-forcing). Over intervention, most bids would be natural and non-forcing anyway, so I think that is what both members of the partnership assumed applied here.

3X is game and happy with, so why would anyone bid on? Minimum with nothing special so why would they bid over double of 2?
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-July-22, 17:30

View PostWellSpyder, on 2015-July-22, 05:47, said:

Match points. North's 2 opening is ostensibly Fantunes style (intermediate (10-13 HCPs), unbalanced (either 6H, or 5H with a 4+ minor and more shapely than 5422), but potentially undisciplined in 3rd seat. West's double of 2 is for penalties. Should North be bidding 3 on either the 2nd or 3rd round of the bidding? If South turns out not to have a genuine 2 bid, has North fielded this psyche?
If West's double of 2 was alerted as "Penalty", then North's passes seem reasonable. If South has psyched over a take-out double in the past -- making it easier for NS than EW to recognize the ploy, that might put a different complexion on events.

#12 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2015-July-22, 20:31

View Postnige1, on 2015-July-22, 17:30, said:

If West's double of 2 was alerted as "Penalty", then North's passes seem reasonable. If South has psyched over a take-out double in the past -- making it easier for NS than EW to recognize the ploy, that might put a different complexion on events.

To what extent is south psyching general bridge knowledge and not specific partnership understanding?

As a partial aside is 2 as either natural or a bluff a legitimate agreement and does anyone in the UK play and alert this?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#13 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-23, 01:15

Sorry, I seem to have raised a bit of a non-issue. I was North here, and it didn't really occur to me that I might have done something wrong. I didn't even consciously think that partner must have psyched. I simply thought that if partner decided he didn't want to play in 2 doubled even though I had told him by passing that I was happy with this, then it would be silly to tell him to play in 3 doubled instead. East, however, seemed firmly of the opinion that I had fielded a psyche. Since he seemed more interested in making sarcastic comments about my bidding than in calling the TD (no doubt since they got a top anyway!), I thought I had better see what the general view here was in case I really had got this wrong - I know it can be hard to form an objective opinion when one is involved at the table, however much you think this is what you are doing.

#14 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-July-23, 03:34

The pull of 2Sx to 3H exposes the psyche even to a passing waiter.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-July-23, 10:03

View PostCascade, on 2015-July-22, 20:31, said:

To what extent is south psyching general bridge knowledge and not specific partnership understanding?

What part of Nigel's post suggested that it's GBK? He said that if South has a history of making this kind of psyche in the past, it would be easier for North to recognize it than EW. That seems to be the exact opposite of claiming it's GBK.

#16 User is offline   Poky 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-23, 13:45

If 2 is defined as a "sign-off", 2 isn't even a psyche.

You are allowed to play 2-3 fits legitimately, if you think such maneuver will have a good expectation.

#17 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2015-July-23, 14:55

View Postbarmar, on 2015-July-23, 10:03, said:

What part of Nigel's post suggested that it's GBK? He said that if South has a history of making this kind of psyche in the past, it would be easier for North to recognize it than EW. That seems to be the exact opposite of claiming it's GBK.

I don't think i said or suggested that Nigel's post claimed anything was general bridge knowledge.

It seems wrong however to restrict an action based on a presumed partnership understanding when the information is in the public domain not that this particular pair may psyche in a particular circumstance but that many players psyche in this situation.

Indeed in some situations the special partnership understanding may well be that a partnership never psyche in this auction. Certainly that information should be equally available to the opponents as the information that another pair do psyche.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#18 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-July-23, 15:07

View PostCascade, on 2015-July-22, 20:31, said:

As a partial aside is 2 as either natural or a bluff a legitimate agreement and does anyone in the UK play and alert this?

Yes, and yes

We alert many major suit responses in the auction 2X dbl 2M or 3X dbl 3M as 'either natural, or lead directing with a fit, or a pysche'

#19 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2015-July-23, 19:44

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2015-July-23, 15:07, said:

Yes, and yes

We alert many major suit responses in the auction 2X dbl 2M or 3X dbl 3M as 'either natural, or lead directing with a fit, or a pysche'

If this is the case it could be just a failure to alert and a little education might solve the problem going forward.

From my experience, it seems to be very difficult to defend against these two way bids almost as bad as if you do not disclose.
Wayne Burrows

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users