Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2/1 'expert' standard

#1 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-21, 20:07

Hi, all... Getting back into playing after a long layoff. When I left, I was playing 'standard' (in the BWS sense) with all kinds of gadgets piled on top.

Now, I'd love to spend some of the time getting up to speed the next couple months really learning 2/1. I know this question is probably oft-asked, but I couldn't find a good thread via the search (sorry in advance if I'm just screwing up)... But, I'd love to know what the forum-ites think is the best 2/1 resource (book, etc) for something approaching 'expert standard' bidding these days. I have looked at the BBO Advanced card for starters and done some googling, but I'd love some informed input before I start down the path to destruction. :)

Thanks. And great to be back reading y'all's posts.

(Mods: If this is in the wrong sub, I apologize and ask that you'd move it)

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-July-21, 20:42

Unfortunately the main advice I would give with regards to books is to stay away from them. There is a lot of chaff and very little wheat in the field of bidding books and I don't know of any book on 2/1 that comes highly recommended.

This forum, on the other hand, is a great resource, especially once you have identified the posters whose posts are truly worth reading. I would like to humbly offer my collection of system-related threads that I have maintained on and off over the years as a starting point: http://bridge.mgoetze.net/bbf.html
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-21, 21:32

Mike Lawrence's 2/1 CD is probably the best for discussing actual 2/1 sequences.

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2015-July-21, 23:36

Which experts? :) There is a lot more variety now than there was 20 years ago. Not so much with the 2/1 base, as with the selection of bells and whistles added to it.

The Hardy-inspired style remains popular out my way, but a bunch of "dead" ideas like single raise constructive have found a new life and become popular again especially in the East. There is a lack of new serious 2/1 system books of any quality - Thurston's 25 Steps to 2/1 is not "Expert"-oriented, and while Volume II of the Hardy includes many of the newer toys, you wont find many people playing the whole system that way.

For the modern approach to slam bidding, the 3-part articles by Fred Gitelman circa 1999 have stood the test of time well and should be on anyone's required-reading list.
Some of the new toys on the horizon, like Gazzilli, are exciting but have still been adopted by very very few US players. Standard is, as always, a moving target.

Chaff to wheat ratio is quite high on the internet too, so not sure there really is a better approach than exploring and finding out which of the new gadgets you like.

#5 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-22, 08:57

Thanks, everyone, for the replies...

I know that this forum (and places like BridgeWinners, etc) are the best source for 'real world' advice on how situations are being handled in the bidding/play... But, as someone with only a slight understanding of 2/1, I was looking for a solid primer that would allow me to get a jump start of participating in the discussion.

So, let me potentially rephrase my question in light of the feedback...

Where would you send a beginner to get a fundamental introduction to 2/1 (perhaps the Gitelman articles fit here)?

And, after they have the basics, what are the conventions *you* think are the most fundamental for them to come to grips with next?

You all are the best around. Nothing's gonna ever keep you down.

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 11:11

Rodwell and Grant book on 2/1 is where I'd send a beginner. http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/093946084X

A reference that has a lot, be it old, is the Hardy book. http://www.amazon.co...7DCXQEPYJQJQ4WQ, personally I find this to be too dense to be that useful (more encyclopedic than book on concepts).

I think from your OP the first one is too basic and the second not good enough at concepts and explaining, so that you'd want something in the middle. But I don't know what that is. You can see the 2/1 long poll thread that was just started here for some survey on what styles different experts play and that may be educational and also prompt some questions from you.

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-July-22, 11:21

View PostHeavyDluxe, on 2015-July-22, 08:57, said:

Where would you send a beginner to get a fundamental introduction to 2/1 (perhaps the Gitelman articles fit here)?

Well, for a beginner, I would probably recommend Fred's "Learn to Play Bridge" programs first. They teach Standard American, not 2/1, but you know, you really should know Standard American if you want to play 2/1 - even in the areas they differ, you will have to revert to SA style in some competitive situations.

Here's another good internet resource: http://home.comcast.net/~kwbridge/
Including an intro to 2/1: http://home.comcast....idge/2over1.htm

I can't say whether a 100% forcing 1NT is still "expert standard", but I'm pretty confident in saying that every expert knows how to play that style.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-July-26, 09:33

Check out Fred's articles on improving 2/1 at: http://bbi.bridgebase.com/articles/
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users