Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Agreements #3 Double and rebid a suit at high level

#1 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-21, 06:33

A common standard agreement is that doubling and rebidding a suit shows a( hand too good to overcall, e.g. (1)-Dbl-(2)-P-(P)-2 is stronger than whatever the strongest hand you can overcall 1 with is.

What about at a higher level? Does this still apply, in your partnership, or does this show a different sort of hand-type?

Some example auctions:
1. (3)-P-(P)-Dbl; (P)-3-(P)-....3/4

2. (4)-Dbl-(P)-4-(P)-...5/5

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-21, 10:19

At the higher level you have other options in that 3-P-P-4 is a good hand where it isn't in the 1 auction.

Do you play (non) leaping Michaels and how good do you have to be to use it ?

1. 3 for me would be blacks not good enough for an immediate NLM 4 and 4 would be clubs if playing NLM. If not playing NLM 3 would still be blacks but 4 would be a better hand than an immediate 4 but how it compares to an immediate 5 I'm not sure.

2. I think with 4N/5/5 available these may well be cues.

#3 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-July-21, 15:31

General principle is that other than 1-level doubles, at all higher levels real single-suited hands have to bid their suit at once, at whatever levels feels appropriate.

1. This is a flexible hand. It shows extras, but not FG extras and not a single-suited. Something like AQJxx Kxx x AQxx would be plenty. The second auction shows something like a 4216 with extra values - partner is allowed to convert to 4 of either major. We've had some discussions about whether you should bid spades first with 4 of them but decided that's a bit confusing.

2. Sounds like a strong hand, but would have been prepared to listen to alternative contracts. Maybe 3163? 3046?

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-21, 15:57

What Frances said.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users