Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Agreements #1 System after 3NT overcall

#1 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-21, 06:27

I found a couple of holes in our notes leading up to the Bowl. Help me out with what you think is expert standard:

What system do you play after (3)-3NT? What about after (3)-3NT?

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-July-21, 09:31

4 asks for a description of the overcall and overcaller bids as follows:

4 of a suit (not the suit opened by preemptor) shows an overcall based on possession of a long, strong suit (plus, obviously, a stopper...the extent of side values is down to style)

4 of opener's suit shows clubs

4N is 16-19 balanced or semi-balanced

5N is 20+ balanced or semi-balanced

4D/H/S are transfers...never transfer to opener's suit, so we only need 3 transfers...a transfer into opener's suit is actually a transfer to the suit beyond opener's suit

4N is minors

we don't have stayman, but after this start to the auction, playing a 4-4 major suit fit is not that desirable on most layouts.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-21, 15:29

4 is a range and hand-type ask. I've played lots of different responses. It comes up so rarely that I've no idea what's best. One option is:
- 4 = extra values, balanced, forcing to 4NT.
- 4M = minimum, balanced, 4-card suit
- 4NT =minimum without a major
- Cue, if available = one-suited
If there's no cue-bid available, you bid 4NT on a minimum one-suiter and 5 something with extra values.

4 is a signoff in a major or some two-suiter. Partner normally bids 4.

4M is a natural NF slam-try.

Edit: This (especially the 4 structure) isn't intended as "expert standard", it's just what I currently play in one partnership.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-July-21, 15:32

I don't think there is a standard. We've just changed ours (and then added a different set by a passed hand)

#5 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 15:59

View Postlmilne, on 2015-July-21, 06:27, said:

I found a couple of holes in our notes leading up to the Bowl. Help me out with what you think is expert standard:

It's also worth discussing what you play after (2)-3NT.

#6 User is offline   DinDIP 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-03, 20:25

View Postlmilne, on 2015-July-21, 06:27, said:

I think the important things are to be able to enquire about the nature of partner's overcall (as 3N can be bid on such a wide variety of hands) and to have two ways to get to 4M and, though it matter less, 5m (one to play, the other a NF slam try). Stayman is of limited value but some folk do ask about five-card majors.

A relatively simple scheme is:
4 = inquiry.
. . . 4 = BALish, 16-20 [4M/5m = NF slam try]
. . . 4M/5m = 7+card (semi-) solid suit
. . . 4N = BALish, 21+ [5x = TFR]
4R = TFR, either to play or strong slam try [4N = RKC (or step = Kickback, if that's what you use), other = SPL/void/suit/cue according to preference]
4/4N = TFR to C/D, either to play or strong slam try

Alternatively, you might decide that you want to distinguish between one-suited and two-suited slam tries rather than mild and serious tries.

If you decide that you rarely overcall 3N with a long major you could use the 4M responses to the 4 inquiry to show length in the corresponding minor so as to allow you to play in 4N -- if you think the memory load is worth it.

Similarly, you could vary your agreements according to what the opponents opened, whether advancer is a passed hand, and whether 3N was a simple or a jump overcall, but I'm yet to be convinced the gains are worth the memory load.

#7 User is offline   Bende 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-04, 03:21

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2015-July-21, 15:32, said:

I don't think there is a standard. We've just changed ours (and then added a different set by a passed hand)

One partner and I agreed to play what you played earlier (at least what you posted in some thread) though it has yet to come up. I would be interested to hear what you play now.

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2015-August-04, 05:15

If Opener has a minor, 4C as one or both majors helps. Partner picks the major he prefers, assuming 55 in the majors, by bidding 4H with heart preference, 4D with spade preference (to get under 4H if Advancer has just long hearts). 4D by Advancer, instead, asks for the nature of the overcall, partner bidding 4S with balanced and 4 spades, 4N if balanced and 4 hearts, 4H if balanced with no major, or long in the other minor, 4S asking which. Advancer can also bid 4H or 4S with slam interest and that major (4C with one major is weaker).
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   jimmyg010 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-26, 07:20

My partner and I have agreed this. Is it any good?

Competing over 3 Level Pre-empts

- X: T/O.
- 3NT: Natural. Then:
...- 4♣: 12+, range enquiry.
......- 4♦: 15-17. Then 4♠ is a puppet to 4NT, either to play or to find a suit (bid up the line). 4NT is quantitative invite, which can be accepted by bidding suits up the line.
......- 4♥: 18-20. Then 4♠ is a puppet to 4NT, etc...
......- 4♠: 21-22. Then bid suits up the line.
......- 4NT: Running suit.
......- 6NT: 23-24.
......- 7NT: 25+. (Maybe these last two are a bit silly. With 23+ bal, probably better to double and then (jump) bid NT?)
...- 4♦/♥/♠: Transfers, either to play or with a slam try. If the opponents opened 3m, 4♠ is a transfer to the other minor. If they opened 3M, 4♠ is a transfer to diamonds and transferring to their major is for clubs.
- Direct cue-bid: Michael’s.
- Suit overcall: Natural, non-forcing.
- 4NT: Strong 5-5 minors.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users