BBO Discussion Forums: What do you bid with this...thing? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you bid with this...thing?

#1 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-19, 18:34

I ran into this earlier today in a free robot race. So the 1 and 2 are just the common meaning of them as bid by the robots. It is best hand south so you know no one else has more HCP than you do. Although I'd probably prefer to know what is the best thing to do in the more usual case where you shouldn't know that. What do you think is the best thing to do from here?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-July-19, 18:47

Don't see how you could do anything other than pass.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-19, 19:37

But you have the best hand. So west is limited to at most 16 HCP, meaning it's unlikely your partner has 0. So you can probably make something, even though it is obviously a gamble whatever you bid as each possibility comes with drawbacks.

I know it's a risk but I bid 3 with this. It's only 4 cards but it's a very good 4 and I thought I could make it.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-19, 20:27

View PostAyunuS, on 2015-July-19, 19:37, said:

But you have the best hand. So west is limited to at most 16 HCP, meaning it's unlikely your partner has 0. So you can probably make something, even though it is obviously a gamble whatever you bid as each possibility comes with drawbacks.

I know it's a risk but I bid 3 with this. It's only 4 cards but it's a very good 4 and I thought I could make it.

I don't know what the robots do, but a human partner with somewhat short spades will strain to protect.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-19, 21:16

I don't play them, but: isn't the goal in robot race games to bid and make your games and slams when appropriate, and get all other hands over as quickly as possible?

#6 User is offline   shaky44 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-July-19, 22:41

Forgetting that this is a robot race, I would pass; especially at IMPs. Even at matchpoints, I think there is a better chance to set 2S by two tricks than to make 3H. If partner does not have any points, it's possible opps could end up at 3S, which you can almost certainly set by two tricks.

If the opponents were not vulnerable, 3H seems like a risky, but viable bid at matchpoints. If partner does not have any points, it's possible opps could end up at 3S, which will almost certainly be set by two tricks.

There isn't anything going on that makes me think partner has 4 hearts. The opps have a 5-3 spade fit, it's not unlikely they also have a 2-4 heart fit, or worse. Trumps break badly for opps in spades, the same could be true at hearts.

Also, having a void in clubs is only helpful to the extent you can trump with your hearts. If partner has three little hearts, you could be forced to choose between taking club losers and letting the opps gain control of trump.

At IMPs, I would always pass. There is just too much of a chance 3H will be doubled and be set by two tricks.

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-20, 03:47

View PostVampyr, on 2015-July-19, 20:27, said:

I don't know what the robots do, but a human partner with somewhat short spades will strain to protect.

Probably with 3, now what ?

#8 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-20, 05:41

I would pass. Take the sure 200-300, its most unclear if we can make game. Bidding is ridiculous IMHO.

#9 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-July-20, 13:38

Pass of course. On a really good day, they bid higher.

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-20, 14:08

How much more interesting would bridge decisions be if we still had 100 and 150 honors added to hands? but I digress:)
PASS = 10 anything else gets a 3 or less and is masterminding especially with robot partners that cannot take a hint. So many ways to win defending against 2s and so many ways to lose NOT defending against 2s.

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-July-20, 17:24

Pass!!

You're looking at 16 HCP. Give the opponents absolute minimums, say opener 11 HCP and responder 5 HCP, then between the opponents and yourself you account for 32 of the 40 HCP. Partner can't have more than 8 HCP and probably less if the opponents have anything at all above the minimums. So, the hand is probably a part score hand at most your way.

You have a nasty surprise for the opponents for the opponents. Even on a bad day you're holding probably 4 or more tricks. You know they are in a bad spot. Let sleeping dogs lie. Take your probable plus.

#12 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-21, 15:45

Pass. Doubling the (not impossible) 3S is for penalties I hope?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users