BBO Discussion Forums: Hesitation Mitchell pivot and sharing tables - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hesitation Mitchell pivot and sharing tables

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2015-July-19, 11:04

If I set up a Hesitation Mitchell of 11 or 12 tables, is there a way to have the two sharing tables NOT include the Pivot table as is usually done?

In my case, I'd like the Pivot table at Table 1 but the sharing somewhere else. One reason are two very slow East-West pairs who would affect THREE (not two) consecutive rounds if the sharing includes the Pivot table. (Yes, if I had two sets of boards, I could avoid this board sharing issue, but usually that won't be available to me.)

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-19, 12:57

BudH, on 2015-July-19, 11:04, said:

If I set up a Hesitation Mitchell of 11 or 12 tables, is there a way to have the two sharing tables NOT include the Pivot table as is usually done?

In my case, I'd like the Pivot table at Table 1 but the sharing somewhere else. One reason are two very slow East-West pairs who would affect THREE (not two) consecutive rounds if the sharing includes the Pivot table. (Yes, if I had two sets of boards, I could avoid this board sharing issue, but usually that won't be available to me.)

I am confused. I didn't think that there was sharing (relay) of boards in a hesitation Mitchell, but only a relay(bye-stand).because there is one more set of boards than tables.

For 12 tables I think you need to do a double-weave Mitchell, but everyone around here is afraid of them. Should be OK if the club can afford a non-playing director, who can move all of the boards himself.

Also it would be helpful to print out personal guide cards for the moving pairs, and tha stationary pair should be told that they MUST check the Bridgemates.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-19, 13:40

BudH, on 2015-July-19, 11:04, said:

Hesitation Mitchells with odd numbers of tables don't share. With even numbers of tables they share because they have two sets of relay boards. I'm fairly sure you do need the switch table to be one of the sharing ones.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2015-July-19, 14:34

Ooops - you are correct that sharing does not occur in the 11 table Hesitation.

It is the 12 table 13 round hesitation I am looking to move board sharing away from the pivot table.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-19, 15:06

I think that if you try to set up the sharing between two tables with stationary pairs, eventually you're going to have a collision somewhere.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-21, 10:54

That's what I found when I set up a mythical 6-table game. I tried three other choices for sharing tables and pairs met already played boards.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-July-21, 16:17

Is there an office at your premises or some other room where sound will not travel too loudly to the playing room? If so, you could, when you find yourself with 12 tables, deal another set of boards while the event is in play.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 09:27

Unfortunately, the Dealer4 machine and club computer are only about a few steps from the (Pivot) Table 1,

#9 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 15:14

Having just finished a tournament where the dealing machine was two tables away from a playing table, it's not that noisy, and it's not that long an annoyance, and it's *much* more pleasant afterward to have no sharing in a 2-board round. I bet they'd put up with it with minimal issue - especially if you put the second set at the stationary table, and the circulating set went 2-12-11.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 20:03

At my local club, dealing during play is not an option. Specified by the club's Board of Directors after oomplaints from some of the members.

Once I was able to have a 6-table game in the far side of the room and I made a few sets of boards with no complaints. But if the tables next to the machine are occupied, I can't make boards after play starts. (More than half the time, the room is too full to leave nearby tables vacant. Also, I have made a few boards between rounds when I can see there is no active play at a nearby table.)

I do when able borrow boards from the novice/intermediate section for help with the 2-board sharing.

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-July-22, 21:16

BudH, on 2015-July-22, 20:03, said:

At my local club, dealing during play is not an option. Specified by the club's Board of Directors after oomplaints from some of the members.

Once I was able to have a 6-table game in the far side of the room and I made a few sets of boards with no complaints. But if the tables next to the machine are occupied, I can't make boards after play starts. (More than half the time, the room is too full to leave nearby tables vacant. Also, I have made a few boards between rounds when I can see there is no active play at a nearby table.)

I do when able borrow boards from the novice/intermediate section for help with the 2-board sharing.

Would it be simpler, when you have 12 tables, to just give the novices a different set of boards?

#12 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-22, 22:31

Vampyr, on 2015-July-22, 21:16, said:

Would it be simpler, when you have 12 tables, to just give the novices a different set of boards?

I have been tempted to give them a set of boards played four or five days earlier in the open section that I know none of them have played. But that isn't right (and also is not within the Laws) plus the reason I personally pushed for a dealing machine and hand records five years ago was partly for the novice/intermediates to play the same boards and see how they did against the open section.

Come to think of it, one advantage to the Pivot Table is if I sneak in a small time interval of board making, the same players will not be there continually getting disturbed by me!

#13 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-23, 10:11

Well, maybe you can argue them into playing web movements when you don't get your one-winner ones. If you get people used to that, you'll need (at least) another set (1-26, or 27 only) anyway, so just anticipate it. Yes, this is sort of a joke - and sort of serious.

I've found with the web that it takes almost no more time to do 3x27 as 2x36 (although that's in the context of expected 20+/-4 tables and one section v. two, not two guaranteed games, so your mileage will vary (never mind the fact I work in km)).

If not, it shouldn't take more than 2 rounds to do the other set (depending on round 1 craziness, arrow-switch issues, bridgemate problems and director calls, I guess). If you put the share table (1), the pivot table (12) and the last normal table (11) near the dealing machine and put a slow pair North at the share table, I bet even the worst complainer sitting at table 11 is going to say "please make another set of boards and kill the 2-board share", if given the choice. Again, ha ha only serious.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#14 User is offline   dcrc2 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-28, 12:45

I may be missing something but I think the share can be anywhere you like - you just have to place your two relays carefully. Say that the switch table is at table 12; then you need to have one set of boards on a relay between 6 and 7. The share can be anywhere provided that the second relay is diametrically opposite. e.g. if the share is 3/4 then you have relays between 6/7 and 9/10. The usual movement puts the share between 12 and 1, so that there are two board-sets on the relay between 6 and 7, but this doesn't seem to be necessary.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users