• You cannot reply to this topic

forgot to show support after FSF

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-18, 06:42

http://tinyurl.com/owq5fl6
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-18, 14:48

Is this a simulation decision? Did North simulate that 6+3 diamonds would score better than 4+4 spades?

Should 3 specifically show three diamonds? Can South not be 4045?

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-19, 17:04

I think Helene made a good choice rebidding 3D with a doubleton honor rather than 2NT with three small hearts. It is well known that opener is often put in a position after partner's 4SF where no bid is completely accurate. And I am QUITE sure that GIB does not recognize this, and would describe 2NT as showing a H stopper and 3D as showing 3 card support, and rebids of the black suits showing extra length.

Some years ago in one of Max Hardy's books on 2/1, he recommended rebidding 2S with a hand like this. Partner was specifically warned not to expect 5-5 or more in the black suits unless confirmed by further bidding. I'm not sure if this ever became widely accepted.

But it does suggest an issue regarding hands like this. I would agree that this responding hand has extra values above a game bid, making using 4SF before raising Spades appropriate. However I've seen several other hands with random 13 points that after 1m-1H-1S, incorrectly use 4SF instead of simply jumping to 4S with 4 card support.

I'll leave it to BBO to explain why GIB never went back to Spades on this particular hand.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-20, 01:23

View Postiandayre, on 2015-July-19, 17:04, said:

Some years ago in one of Max Hardy's books on 2/1, he recommended rebidding 2S with a hand like this. Partner was specifically warned not to expect 5-5 or more in the black suits unless confirmed by further bidding. I'm not sure if this ever became widely accepted.

Would you tell me his book name and his bidding approach? I am very interested in what you said.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-20, 13:20

View Postlycier, on 2015-July-20, 01:23, said:

Would you tell me his book name and his bidding approach? I am very interested in what you said.

Sure, Max wrote 3 different books on the 2/1 system, essentially one each for the 70's, 80's and 90's. I owned them all in their time, and I still have the final one - "Two Over One Game Force". The treatment I described here is discussed on Page 146 of that book.

#6 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-20, 17:10

View Postiandayre, on 2015-July-20, 13:20, said:

Sure, Max wrote 3 different books on the 2/1 system, essentially one each for the 70's, 80's and 90's. I owned them all in their time, and I still have the final one - "Two Over One Game Force". The treatment I described here is discussed on Page 146 of that book.

I would tell you that Max Hardy wrote 2 different books before dying in 2002.
If it is Standard Bridge Bidding System,his approach is similar with Gib policy.
If it is Advanced Bridge Bidding System for the 21th century,there are many differences between Mar Hardy and Gib.

Here,I am also quite sure that both are not same matter - Max Hardy bidding system have nothing to do with Gib system.I see what you said.
Max Hardy play Walsh style with canape,it is a advanced system with many modern 2/1 gadgets for from intermediate to expert.
Gib only play up-the-line,never play that.

For example,you said :

View Postiandayre, on 2015-July-19, 17:04, said:

I guess it should go
1--1
1nt--2
Obviously,this sequence is really not same with Gib bidding approach or Gib policy.

If it goes
1 - 1
1 - 2

Max Hardy said 2 is a constructive raise.

#7 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-21, 10:51

[quote name='lycier' timestamp='1437433804' post='855378']
I would tell you that Max Hardy wrote 2 different books before dying in 2002.
If it is Standard Bridge Bidding System,his approach is similar with Gib policy.
If it is Advanced Bridge Bidding System for the 21th century,there are many differences between Mar Hardy and Gib.

Here,I am also quite sure that both are not same matter - Max Hardy bidding system have nothing to do with Gib system.I see what you said.
Max Hardy play Walsh style with canape,it is a advanced system with many modern 2/1 gadgets for from intermediate to expert.
Gib only play up-the-line,never play that.

For example,you said :

I guess it should go
1--1
1nt--2
Obviously,this sequence is really not same with Gib bidding approach or Gib policy.

If it goes
1 - 1
1 - 2

Max Hardy said 2 is a constructive raise.

/quote]

You are correct that Max Hardy wrote two additional books after the three I mentioned. I don't believed I ever purchased them and I don't have copies now. The book I referenced earlier was published in 1989.

Now, regarding system, you are correct that Mr. Hardy would rebid 1NT rather than 1S with this example hand. So let's change the hand and bidding slightly to make it 4232 shape with Qx of H and xxx of D. And have the bidding go 1C-1H-1S-2D, 4SF. This is the hand where Hardy recommended a 2S rebid by opener. You are also correct that GIB does not use the Walsh style, making the 1S rebid correct with the actual hand with GIB. But the concept regarding opener's second rebid after 4SF is exactly the same.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users