BBO Discussion Forums: Over jump rebid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Over jump rebid IMPs

Poll: 1C-1S-3C-? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your call?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 3D (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. 3H (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 3S (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

5. 3NT (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 4C (16 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

7. 5C (4 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-16, 16:00

IMPs.Favourable.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-July-16, 18:15

slam a distinct possibility
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-16, 19:57

View Postjallerton, on 2015-July-16, 16:00, said:

IMPs.Favourable.

Our agreement for 5 is that it is picture bid and shows support + no control in unbid suits. Does not mean I do not want to play slam. 4 will be slamish and requesting cue. 3 red cuebids over 3 are for 3 NT purposes to me.

However this hand is weird. Seeing KQxx in my hand says pd has a lot of values on the side. I do not want to bid 5. He probably have 16-17 oe a bad 18 for his jump without KQ , or maybe extra 7th club. 3 NT or 4 NT might be our last makeable game. It will be a lie if I tell we discussed how to stop in 4 NT if I start 4 or 3 red. So I am curious how others will approach.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-July-16, 19:57

double
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-17, 03:08

I would try 3 hoping to get partner to bid 3N with a stop.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-17, 04:11

View Postthe_clown, on 2015-July-17, 03:08, said:

I would try 3 hoping to get partner to bid 3N with a stop.

Because you so want to be in 3N-1 with 6 solid opposite say KQ, AJx, x, AJ10xxxx

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-17, 04:14

View PostMrAce, on 2015-July-16, 19:57, said:

Our agreement for 5 is that it is picture bid and shows support + no control in unbid suits. Does not mean I do not want to play slam. 4 will be slamish and requesting cue. 3 red cuebids over 3 are for 3 NT purposes to me.

Picture bids are usually played in game forcing situations.
Here responder can have a wide range of strength and the 3 bid is not even forcing.
Of course you can agree to whatever you like, but I wonder what responder does with a distributional hand where he would like to play game in clubs, but considers slam remote.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-17, 04:21

I will try the approach of bidding my hand - 4 then 4 if partner cues 4 (or 4 if 4 would be RKCB).

Partner can continue with 4NT (DI or "rolling") to confirm a heart control but not enough values to drive slam, in which case I will sign off (though the decision is close).

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-July-17, 04:39

View Postrhm, on 2015-July-17, 04:14, said:

Picture bids are usually played in game forcing situations.
Here responder can have a wide range of strength and the 3 bid is not even forcing.
Of course you can agree to whatever you like, but I wonder what responder does with a distributional hand where he would like to play game in clubs, but considers slam remote.

Rainer Herrmann

- Correct, usually but not always.

- 4 NT (means bidding 5 with no slam interest) 4 would be RKCB.

But as I said in previous reply we just talked this auction briefly and still did not discuss continuation of it after 3 red or 4m and how to manage to stop in 4 NT etc. A good suggestion can always convince me to play something better.

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-17, 06:32

View PostMrAce, on 2015-July-17, 04:39, said:

A good suggestion can always convince me to play something better.

Just off the top of my head, how about:-
3red = values or advance cue (or stop ask/advance denial cue if preferred)
3 = nat, FG
4 = conditional RKCB
... - 4 = bad hand for slam
... - ... - 4 = asking for a heart control
... - ... - 4 = asking for a diamond control
... - ... - 4NT/5 = to play
... - 4+ = good hand for slam + key cards
4 = RKCB
4 = with void
4 = equivalent of your 5 picture bid
4NT = clubs with void
5 = to play

I am sure something better is possible though.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#11 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-17, 06:36

5 for me. I assume P is short in one of the red suits, but there's nothing to stop them having three cashing tricks, so I don't want to tell them which one. If P can't raise my spades, I'm not too excited about slam - it's obviously a possibility, but it feels more likely to me that we'll tip them off to the killer lead against 5 than that we'll be able to find one.

If I played something like PhilKing describes, 4 would be more tempting, but with most partners, if it continued 4 4 / 4 we'd be stuck with 4N as RKCB. Since I can't bid it sensibly and it's nowhere near strong enough to punt, I'll settle for the most likely game.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#12 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-17, 18:38

I'm pretty sure no one else wants to do this but I strongly favor

3s

This bid is forcing but does not promise much power and it also shows a suit with insufficient quality to bid 4s (if weakish).
P cannot suddenly go from non forcing to slam control(especially missing the club KQ). They might try and cue bid and we can then bid 5c. The 3s bid leaves many contracts and levels and p thinking we have 5 spades is not enough to get them to overrule any club contract we bid.

There is a reason p opted for 3c rather than 2n or a reverse and we need to find out what that reason is. It may well be p is short in spades and could not get in a 2n rebid for fear we would repeat spades. In any meaningful sequence our conversion to clubs will let p know about our spade ace and slam interest.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users