BBO Discussion Forums: Worst double ever, worst pull ever - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Worst double ever, worst pull ever Best partner ever! Thanks gib N!

#21 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-17, 21:04

View Postgwnn, on 2015-July-17, 13:11, said:

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-July-17, 07:40, said:

I don't get what the discussion is about. West Gib's double is explained as takeout. Given that, East Gib isn't pulling, so is understandable. West double not great but isn't the worst ever.

East did pull, are the hackers still changing the diagram?

Steve is quibbling with your characterization if East's action, not the fact of East's action. When you bid over partner's take-out double, you are responding to that takeout double, as partner asked you to do, not pulling it. When you bid over partner's penalty double, you are pulling it.

#22 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-July-19, 05:22

View Postgwnn, on 2015-July-17, 13:11, said:

East did pull, are the hackers still changing the diagram?

it was a takeout double. no pull just showing 4 like asked to do
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-July-19, 06:06

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-July-17, 21:04, said:

Steve is quibbling with your characterization if East's action, not the fact of East's action. When you bid over partner's take-out double, you are responding to that takeout double, as partner asked you to do, not pulling it. When you bid over partner's penalty double, you are pulling it.

Oh ok. Well in that case I disagree. You can leave in a double or pull it. The lower the double, the more likely you are to pull it, the higher it is, the more likely you are to pass (leave it in). I know that in the binary world in which every double is either unambiguously takeout or unambiguously penalty, we "convert" takeout doubles by passing and we "pull" penalty doubles by not passing but I luckily am aware of the fact that we are not living in this binary world and bidding Jxxx on the 5-level even if you know for a fact that partner always has 4 of them is absurd in the real world we are living (I am still not sure how Kxx qualifies for a four card suit but I guess that is also my fault somehow. Also the 16+ points came out because I hacked GIB and added a king to his hand I guess. But nobody is talking about this since my bidding is obviously the main concern on the GIB discussion forum even after I accepted instantly that my bid was a calculated risk). But it's nice to see that the only bad call in the whole auction was my 4 spade bid and we identified that we need to either change my bidding by genetic manipulation or by changing the conditions of contest.

This thread is really turning into something else, people have criticized:
-my use of hyperbole in the title
-my 4 bid
-my failing to read the description (despite the fact that they themselves forgot to read what X was described)
-my use of English of whether East pulled it or just responded to a double even though it has nothing to do with whether pass or 5 is a better call

Little mention as of yet of:
-west's crappy double, he has the worst shape possible and nothing resembling the description of the double.
-east's inferred void that passed the first time, why can't west let east see his own void?
-east should not just bid 5 on any hand with 4 hearts, it's just an 8-card fit that will also often break badly!
-the fact that 4 shouldn't be restricted to 5+ all the time. what would you do with xxxx x Kxxxxx xx? If you disagree with 4, don't you at least agree that it's more reasonable with this hand than xxxxx xxx Kxx xx?
-actually looking at the hands and trying to figure out if it makes sense to double with west's hand, not just picking a fight with OP.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users