BBO Discussion Forums: Worst double ever, worst pull ever - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Worst double ever, worst pull ever Best partner ever! Thanks gib N!

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-July-16, 01:49

EW both made egregious errors here and it looks even stupider when both of them happen on the same board.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-16, 03:33

I wanna train with my partner in your local club if you really think this is the worst double ever.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-July-16, 04:21

if double really shows 4+ hearts then I don't think the pull is that bad.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-16, 05:04

View Postgwnn, on 2015-July-16, 01:49, said:

EW both made egregious errors here and it looks even stupider when both of them happen on the same board.

Its not such a terrible double- its assumed you were following its standard- pre-emptive raise to game. Your strong standard triple raise is at strong risk of missing a slam. If your bidding like it then East is guaranteed to void in spades.

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-16, 06:51

View Postcloa513, on 2015-July-16, 05:04, said:

Your strong standard triple raise is at strong risk of missing a slam.

Not playing in a best-hand robot game where it is known that partner's hand is not better than yours.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-16, 09:08

View Postgordontd, on 2015-July-16, 06:51, said:

Not playing in a best-hand robot game where it is known that partner's hand is not better than yours.

How about void of diamonds, A of clubs and 6 good spades KQJxxx, J of hearts- I assume that's enough for GIB to open.

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-July-16, 09:25

It was a calculated risk. I did not claim it was the best bid ever. I was talking about the robots' idiotic decisions. In fact if I'd known how bad their doubles are I'd have bid a lot more 1M-4M's!

And if partner has a void in spades, they can find their void too and bid accordingly.
      George Carlin

#8 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-16, 11:25

I agree with the thread title.

Nice 4S call. I'm going to start using that one. It's like we're playing a funny sort of limited opening system!
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#9 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-16, 14:31

As stated W's double isn't that bad. If you have your bid partner is void in S and they could easily have a good save or even a make.

It is looking like the concept of "human best hand" is distorting the bidding too much. It is not sensible bridge to be able to bid 4S with a hand like this with virtual impunity. That said, I enjoy having a decent hand each time. Perhaps the parameters should be: Human always has at least 11 HCP but then other hands are distributed randomly. That would eliminate hands like this, and the ability to open poor hands intending to pass your unpassed partner's 1 level response.

Programmers correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think this change would be too difficult for BBO to implement. And it would be an improvement to the integrity and the challenge of the game.

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-July-16, 19:58

View Postiandayre, on 2015-July-16, 14:31, said:

As stated W's double isn't that bad. If you have your bid partner is void in S and they could easily have a good save or even a make.

As stated, E can also count its own spade holding and bid accordingly. Well, I guess I'm pretty wrong about this since E pulled the double even with a doubleton! Are we all living on different planets? Would you really double at the table with Txx Kxx QJT AQJx? It's a 13 count but it's a pretty bad 13 count, no shape at all (it is one of these so-called four-three-three-three hands which are actually the worst shape in bridge). Or is this just the favourite pastime of the GIB robot discussion subforum "let's criticize gwnn's decisions since the GIB developers obviously can reprogram him, let's praise GIB since there's nothing the programmers can do about their decisions!"
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-July-16, 20:14

Or did someone hack this thread and the hand appears as x Kxxx QJTx AQJx (a bit pushy but I definitely wouldn't be posting about it) or the auction appears like p-p-1-? (a perfectly fine takeout double that only a purist would object to). I can really see no other explanation for this insistence that this hand is somehow an acceptable double. For the record, the hand is ten third, king third, queen-jack-ten, ace-queen-jack-small (I hope this will go past the hackers and not be transformed into an eighteen count while I am posting). Blink once if you got the message, blink twice if you still think double by west is acceptable -- in that case I will try smoke signals or steganography. In case the hackers are also changing the description of double, I am writing it here reversed: stniop latot erom ro neetxis ,straeh erom ro ruof. If you don't hear from me within 24 hours, please let my parents know that I was abducted by the hackers who are changing these hands for uncovering their plans.
      George Carlin

#12 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-16, 20:17

View Postiandayre, on 2015-July-16, 14:31, said:

... Perhaps the parameters should be: Human always has at least 11 HCP but then other hands are distributed randomly...

The other similar suggestion that has been made is that no more than one GIB should have more HCP than Human, rather than no GIB... Either of these would be an improvement, imo.

#13 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-17, 01:19

View Postgwnn, on 2015-July-16, 19:58, said:

As stated, E can also count its own spade holding and bid accordingly. Well, I guess I'm pretty wrong about this since E pulled the double even with a doubleton! Are we all living on different planets? Would you really double at the table with Txx Kxx QJT AQJx? It's a 13 count but it's a pretty bad 13 count, no shape at all (it is one of these so-called four-three-three-three hands which are actually the worst shape in bridge). Or is this just the favourite pastime of the GIB robot discussion subforum "let's criticize gwnn's decisions since the GIB developers obviously can reprogram him, let's praise GIB since there's nothing the programmers can do about their decisions!"

You have supposed to have five spade- read the bid description- therefore East has no spades- no problem with shape now.

#14 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-July-17, 01:33

Thanks, this gives a completely different spin on everything, luckily nobody has mentioned this before and I have not addressed this already twice. Also if you reply to a post that contains two questions, could you also answer them? Would you really double at the table with that garbage 13 count or are you just trying to be irritating?
      George Carlin

#15 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-17, 05:29

View Postgwnn, on 2015-July-17, 01:33, said:

Thanks, this gives a completely different spin on everything, luckily nobody has mentioned this before and I have not addressed this already twice. Also if you reply to a post that contains two questions, could you also answer them? Would you really double at the table with that garbage 13 count or are you just trying to be irritating?

If opponents were doing preemptive raises (as they are meant to for GIB's system) and its nonvulnerable against vulnerable, then absolutely.

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-July-17, 05:41

One problem with this strategy is that p might pull your double. I find it very difficult to predict when GIB will pull my doubles. But maybe this is the kind of doubles it never pulls, even though it doesn't promise much defense.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-July-17, 05:43

Yea I know and I was actually not sure whether or not it will pull it but I was definitely not going to pass it out.
      George Carlin

#18 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-July-17, 07:40

I don't get what the discussion is about. West Gib's double is explained as takeout. Given that, East Gib isn't pulling, so is understandable. West double not great but isn't the worst ever.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#19 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-17, 12:02

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-July-16, 20:17, said:

The other similar suggestion that has been made is that no more than one GIB should have more HCP than Human, rather than no GIB... Either of these would be an improvement, imo.

I think it's most important that partner can have more points than you, only that will help with the issues I mentioned.

#20 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-July-17, 13:11

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-July-17, 07:40, said:

I don't get what the discussion is about. West Gib's double is explained as takeout. Given that, East Gib isn't pulling, so is understandable. West double not great but isn't the worst ever.

East did pull, are the hackers still changing the diagram?
      George Carlin

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users