• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-July-14, 16:10

how the heck should this be bid (imps)

all vul

north deals
thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-July-14, 16:27

It starts:

P 1 1 P

Now N has a choice...pass (which would be my call due to the shape and the fact that my club K is of slightly reduced value now that LHO has opened the suit) or a thin 2. If one played transfer advances, then 2 is a bit more palatable, since it would deny constructive values, but even so I would pass.

Assume the pass by N

East has an easy 2.

S could bid 2 but he has defence to hearts, and the heart length and strength on his right, coupled with the lack of a raise, and the missing diamond suit, all make pass look best.

West has an easy preference back to 3 and now I would expect that at many tables the auction would be over.

However, a lot of people like to bid, even when the warning signs are apparent, so N might raise to 2 and now E has a tough call. I'd bid 3 anyway, tho this is a minimum. Partner can easily enough hold xxx Qxx xxxxx Kx, as an example, and we have a good game available, so we can't pass and we need to show the 5th heart.

If N bid, then S should bid 3. Game is too far away with those clubs and hearts.

If N passed, some S's would bid 2 over 2.Personally, I think West is just good enough to bid 3 since 2 usually delivers at least 6 clubs (no reopening double). But I would understand pass. In any event, the auction could die at 2, 3, or 3.

It is possible that it would reach 4 if West bid over S's 2 and N bid 3.

Were NS to reach 3, and West has a chance to speak, which I suspect is unlikely, then the final contract would likely be 3x

So I guess the real answer to the OP is that there is no one way the hand 'should be bid', but quite a few in which it could be bid, with no clear error by anyone.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-14, 16:37

my 1 cent worth
p 1h 1s* 1n (though I would bid 2d playing nfb)
2s**3c p*** 3d+
pass out

* too much chance of game even opposite a passed hand to preempt at IMPS
**pass is reasonable with this piece of cheese but hard to avoid support with support
*** This hand keep on getting worse and worse anyone squeezing a 3s bid now has more chutzpah than I.
+just too much risk we belong in diamonds to pass 3c

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-July-14, 16:41

1 - 1 - p - 2
3 - 3 - 4 - p
5?

Looks like an interesting play problem too.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-July-14, 17:19

View PostPhil, on 2015-July-14, 16:41, said:

1 - 1 - p - 2
3 - 3 - 4 - p
5?

Spade lead, may as well ruff. Diamond to the A and run club J. North ducks, and declarer leads the 10, which is covered, to prevent declarer remaining in dummy to advance the heart J. Pull the last trump and lead a low heart, ducked by S. Spade off dummy, ruffed, heart AK and another, and concede a diamond.

Looks pretty simple :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-14, 20:04

I am minority I guess for starting 1. When I am very short in other major I am firm believer of getting my major suit in the auction asap. This works quite well if my LHO passes and pd has an immediate raise of invitation or gf raise such as splinter or jacoby etc. On this deal it won't help since S has a direct spade overcall. I would not be able to find 5 by 2 Timo sitting EW.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-July-15, 02:24

View PostPhil, on 2015-July-14, 16:41, said:

1 - 1 - p - 2
3 - 3 - 4 - p
5?

I think 4 is a poor bid in this auction, I'll take 800 out of 3 if I get it right (cashing the A at the right time) and 500 if I don't.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-July-15, 02:48

View PostMrAce, on 2015-July-14, 20:04, said:

I am minority I guess for starting 1.

If East starts with 1, I think South should strongly consider 2 rather than just one.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-15, 05:41

I find it hard to believe that so many players are voluntarily raising spades with the North hand after 1. I also find it fascinating (read - 'disappointing') that - after the direct 2 raise - that South could only bid 3 on that mountain. Surely South can drive to game after a voluntary sign of life from North.

I think this deal is way too volatile to say "it should be bid this way".

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-15, 06:01

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-July-15, 02:48, said:

If East starts with 1, I think South should strongly consider 2 rather than just one.

With a pd coming from pass, I actually like the idea of 2.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   fross 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-July-16, 15:21

definitely start with 1
1 seems logical
after 2 of course 3
but then 4 is too light, I would bid 4
you would bid 4 with much less
and you must know that your hand is really strong now
P will bid 4S, after which 5c is end bid

cheers,