BBO Discussion Forums: Balancing hand - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Balancing hand

Poll: what now? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

what do you bid now?

1. 2H (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

2. 2S (30 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

3. 2N (1 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

4. 3C (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 3D (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 3H (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 3S (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

8. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-July-14, 16:49

Pretty sure that my floor for a balancing 1 call is higher than a direct 1 call, so this looks like an easy 2 call.

If I were in the direct seat, Wank's 2 has more going for it.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#22 User is offline   dlks 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-July-15, 08:51

In this sequence, partner's cue bid of opener's suit shows a limit raise (here 10-11 points) with at least 3-card support for my Spades. I bid 2S, with no interest in going any further. Partner is not required to pass, but likely will.

#23 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-17, 07:54

I don't think partner is showing a limit raise, but an opening strength hand with nothing particular to say. If I bid 2 he reads me for a weaker hand than I have, and something is likely to be missed. I prefer 2. This does not guarantee 4 cards, as I could have started with a double, but it shows I have some extra strength, and it shows where my values are. It may enable partner with values in the minors to bid NT.

#24 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-July-17, 11:04

while I agree with those who have said that partner's cue bid does not guarantee support, support is by far the most likely holding.

He didn't overcall, so he lacks a decent hand with a decent heart suit, and lacks a good hand with a good club suit, and he didn't bid notrump over our balance, or his own heart or club suit (which calls would be read in the context of his initial pass and which would be non-forcing), and he didn't make a fit-jump. So all told, the most likely holdings include some degree of spade support.

Having said that, we absolutely ought not to be bidding 2 absent an agreement that allows us to do this on a 3 card suit, which is not an agreement I have in any partnership. While partner will usually have spades, he is clearly allowed to hold 4 hearts as well, and indeed may well be hoping that we have a similar holding.....assume he has, say, Kx Kxxx xxx AQxx. What do you want him to do on either round of the bidding?

It is an error to say that our 1 balance denied 4 hearts. With, say, AJxxxx Axxx xx x, I don't double! Nor would this hand qualify for an intermediate 2.

As for the problem, I have a good hand for my balance, compared to the worst holding I could have, but it certainly isn't an unexpected hand, and it is sterile in shape, so 2 is sufficient, with a willingness to bid game if partner raises.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users