BBO Discussion Forums: declarer and dummy have same weak side suit - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

declarer and dummy have same weak side suit playing techniques?

#1 User is offline   bravejason 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-12, 18:35

Is there a standard technique for dealing with weak side suits with both declarer and dummy have the same such suit, particularly when the suits are not short? Here's an example deal:

Dealer:
S-9832
H-AK983
D-KJ
C-K4

Dummy:
S-J754
H-QT74
D-A7
C-A93

Is there any standard approach to try to avoid losing three spades?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-12, 18:49

View Postbravejason, on 2015-July-12, 18:35, said:

Is there a standard technique for dealing with weak side suits with both declarer and dummy have the same such suit, particularly when the suits are not short? Here's an example deal:

Dealer:
S-9832
H-AK983
D-KJ
C-K4

Dummy:
S-J754
H-QT74
D-A7
C-A93

Is there any standard approach to try to avoid losing three spades?

Yes

Clear trumps, eliminate short suits* and play a spade towards J. If one jumps from KQTx AQTx AKTx he will toss to his pd's stiff A or K, now ruff the minor suit they exit and play spades towards J98 hook.

* Eliminating side suits in a suit contract means, you clear them from your hand and dummy so when opps hold the hand they do not have a safe exit. Whatever they play will be ruff and sluff which allows you to ruff from 1 hand and discard from the other. Or they simply have to play the suit you are willing them to play, towards your hook(s)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-13, 12:12

Mr. Ace's suggestion is completely correct. In truth what you are trying to avoid is losing 4 tricks in Spades. See what happens if you just draw trump and play Spades without eliminating the side suits, and your LHO has a singleton A, K, or Q of Spades.

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-15, 12:02

You can pull trumps but do not eliminate the side suits. The main idea is to lead toward your hand twice hoping rho began with AKx and cannot resist following with the AK the first two rounds. If you eliminate the side suits first rho has a vastly superior idea of what you have in your hand and will be much more inclined to play low. The strip and end play may save you from losing 4 spades (iandyre) but it will not help you avoid 3 spade losers since the "endplayed" opp can always give you a ruff and sluff and if you started with 3 spade losers you will finish with 3 spade losers.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-July-15, 12:15

Against competent opponents its definitely correct to eliminate the side suits, even though they are getting a good count on your hand.

You might have FOUR spade losers in some layouts - KQTx/A, AQTx/K, etc.., and a ruff/sluff lets this in.

edit: I see Iandyre said the same thing above.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users