BBO Discussion Forums: strength to respond with Jacoby 2NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

strength to respond with Jacoby 2NT which 13 points?

#1 User is offline   bravejason 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-12, 18:18

I've read that you need 13+ points to respond with a Jacoby 2 NT. The question is can those points include points that are only counted when supporting partner's suit or do they need to be points as would be counted when deciding to open the bidding? If I have a hand that is worth only 10 to 11 points if I was the dealer, but 13+ in support of partner's major suit, would it be OK to respond with a Jacoby 2 NT after partner bids 1 of a major?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-12, 19:00

View Postbravejason, on 2015-July-12, 18:18, said:

I've read that you need 13+ points to respond with a Jacoby 2 NT. The question is can those points include points that are only counted when supporting partner's suit or do they need to be points as would be counted when deciding to open the bidding? If I have a hand that is worth only 10 to 11 points if I was the dealer, but 13+ in support of partner's major suit, would it be OK to respond with a Jacoby 2 NT after partner bids 1 of a major?

Usually the hands which improved due to shape or shortness or length are expressed with other conventions like splinter, mini splinter etc.

But at this level if I were you I'd not worry about them and if you think your hand improved enough, whether by hcps or additional imaginary points, to make a GF raise, then I'd say go for it. It is better to bid 2 NT with 11 hcp which looks like a 13 hcp, than bidding 1 4 which usually shows 4-5 card support and half preemptive half making purpose bids. But I'd not use jacoby 2 NT with say 7-9 hcp which improved to13 hcp somehow. Prefer bidding those hands by raising directly to the game level.

And do not forget, jacoby 2 NT means 4+ card support. Don't do it with 3.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-12, 23:45

If you have 4+ trumps and would be sick if you made a limit raise and were passed, then Jacoby 2nt is fine. You may have other bids you could make (like splinters if you have shortness, or like forcing 2/1 bids if you have a good outside suit), but Jacoby 2nt on 4+ trumps and an 11 or 12 count isn't wrong, so long as you evaluate it as a hand you want to be in game opposite the sort of hands where your partner would pass your limit raise.

#4 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-13, 01:23

This is not quite the right answer for novices, since they might not be quite experienced enough to actually answer these questions. However, this is roughly what I do (in marginal situations):

1) Picture partner with the worst possible 13 hcp hand (consistent with the opening bid). Do you want to be in game?

2) Picture partner with the best possible 15 hcp hand (consistent with the opening bid, not including hands more distributional than 5530). Do you want to be in slam?

If the answer to both questions is YES (and you have 4+ card trump support), bid Jacoby 2N.

#5 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2015-July-17, 10:59

4 trumps, and the inability to make another constructive call first, like a 2/1 on a hand that has a side five card suit (not in trumps).
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-18, 13:11

I bid it once on something like

KQxxx, x, x, Axxxxx got a 3 response (on shortness) and bid blackwood.

Don't be afraid to experiment a bit as long as you are thinking tricks not points and consider the other ways to bid a hand (2/1, splinter?) before you do it. If you are wrong, it won't take long to find out and you can practice your apologies to partner.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users