• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Drury Question

#21 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-13, 14:21

View Postjodepp, on 2015-July-13, 13:42, said:

This hand has lots of potential as constructed so I guess I would use Drury, but I also have sympathy for 1-then-later-raise hearts. I almost always like to describe where my side values lie when I have a fir, something Drury doesn't do.

So, if you would bid 1, how will you "raise hearts" later?

If you rebid 2 then that isn't a raise, it is merely showing preference (typically with two hearts only instead of four).
If you rebid 3 then that could be construed as a raise, but it will get you to the three level.

And finally, you may not get to raise hearts, because 1 is not forcing. You may play 1 in a 4-3 fit when you likely had a 5-4 heart fit.

So, a non forcing 1 response is not an option when you have four card heart support. If you want to show your spades (and that may not be a bad idea) you can only do that after you raised hearts and your partner gives you the opportunity. And if the hand were just a bit stronger, the forcing character of Drury achieves just that: You would bid 2 and if partner rebids 2, you will make a game try with 2. If the hand would be still stronger (say 5413) you could even do that when partner rebids 2.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users