• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will you interfere?

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-12, 21:43

View Postm1cha, on 2015-July-12, 14:07, said:

And I don't think it's a psych because after "1 p 2", when the opponents have shown 23+ points and are very likely to have 26+, everyone should realize we are not talking points here, we are talking distribution.

Psych? Surely no one would consider that.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-July-12, 21:54

I remember a hand a long, long time ago where the auction started 1M p 2H w/w and I went 4N with a 6-5 (much better hand than this one). Partner got doubled and went for 800 against a 4S contract that was doomed.

Unless your 6-6 or something, don't make a unilateral leap like this.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#23 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-13, 01:08

View Postm1cha, on 2015-July-12, 14:07, said:

............... "We play law of total tricks" or " But with 6-5 in the minors, we have a good chance of an 8-card fit to play on the two-level. Plus 1 level for white against red plus 1 level on the partscore range while opponents probably have game, if we stretch it."

Stretch?

Oh come on! Don't be hard on yourself!
If I were you I would write this to L.C and insist that he should add this to his book.
A new chapter! "How to apply LOTT in a deal without having absolutely no clue which side has how many trumps if they have a trump!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#24 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2015-July-13, 01:46

Many years ago my friend Phil had one bad result after jumping to 4NT. Since then he has missed out on many an opportunity to mess with the opponents. White against red with 0-2-5-6 shape and *good suits* I would have no qualms jumping to that level. Mind you, I would bid 4S, not 4NT, so that partner could bid 4NT with equal length in the minors.

But with the given hand I certainly wouldn't.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-July-13, 02:30

One thing I used to do with one of my partners is that X of a strong 2/1 sequence was not constructive giving multiple ways of competing in 2 suits. Here it would give all of X, 2 and 2NT. That in turn leaves an alternative option to showing 5-5 in the minors - showing 6+ clubs with secondary diamonds. I think all 3 of these calls might be considered depending on the specific agreements in play. I would consider 4NT (or 4 if that were available) on this hand but would not do so against most opponents.

As an aside, how do other BBFers play 2 here? and Double too if not constructive take out (just in case they psyched? :lol: ). It surprises me a little that no one has suggested that as an alternative to 2NT as one very logical meaning would be 2-suited with better clubs.
(-: Zel :-)

#26 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-13, 03:10

View PostArtK78, on 2015-July-12, 07:51, said:

The fact that 4NT is the successful bid on this hand (or might be the successful bid on this hand) doesn't change the fact that it is, as Wank so delicately put it, psychotic.

2NT is plenty. Passing is probably better than 4NT.

While 4NT can backfire, calling it psychotic is utter nonsense. I would agree if colors were reversed, but they aren't.
Of course 2NT might describe your distribution, but preempting has advantages in itself even though I only believe preempts sometimes work .
My guess is that in the long run 4NT has a higher MP or IMP expectation at the table (single dummy) than 2NT.

Rainer Herrmann

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users