Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tough from yesterday

#1 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-11, 11:38

Hi all, some tough / close decisions (that we didn't get all right!) from yesterday MP event. Vuln indicated when relevant.

1st - green vs. red, auction starts with pass pass and you're dealt the following collection

AT9xxx
x
xxx
xxx

2nd - all red

Strong NT, 2D transfer to H, not promising values

3rd - a defensive play to change from bidding decisions ;)

You're dealt a 2325 hand with your only HCP in A8743 in clubs, all other cards being small pips. Your RHO deals and opens 1NT (strong), LHO staymans, and bids an invitational 2NT when the openers denies majors with 2D. After some thought, RHO bids 3NT. You lead the C4 as 4th best, dummy hits with xxxx KQxx Kx 652 (leaving all high Cs with partenr and declarer). Partner wins the K, declarer dropping the 10. Partner then continues with the J, covered by the Q. Your move.

This post has been edited by apollo1201: 2015-July-12, 02:23

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-July-11, 11:47

1 - 2spades - i like to have fairly solid preempts but i mean we're 3rd in favourable and have At9xxx spades and a stiff heart. I'm probably closer to 3spades than passing anyway

2 - pass.we must have a pretty good hand to have bid 2n in the first place and partner has also seen this unusual leap from the 1N bidder and decided not to do anything

3 - need to know the rest of our hand
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-11, 15:49

Oops sorry eagles I tried to implement a 2nd diagram but didnt succeed and forgot to mention a 4HCP 2335 hand. All non clubs are therefore spots not even a 10 I had!

#4 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-11, 18:06

1. 3. I routinely bid one more in third, and at these colours I'm close to 4 than 2 :)

2. I'll double now, on the assumption that I didn't show a particularly strong hand first time around. I'm not sure I've discussed this with my Ps, but to me it looks like regular unusual, which we play as wide ranging.

3. I'm pretty mediocre at defence, but I don't see much reason to cover. W doesn't have an auto invite, E apparently doesn't have an auto accept, so we want to set this. If P only has two, then declarer might not be able to pitch his loser on such a drab dummy anyway. I'd probably have led a heart at trick 1, though.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#5 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-11, 21:05

1. For me, 2S & 3S are both possible and I think it's important to balance your range a bit in this position. I would choose between them based on the opponents.

2. This is a slightly unusual auction because West's 4H bid has taken away partner's ability show a fit below the 5 level. However, the other side of the coin is that we haven't got any extra shape, the minor kings will often be poorly placed and if partner did hold a hand like [Kxxxx xx x Kxxxx] where 5m is a chance to make, they probably would've stretched to bid over 4H themselves. So overall, pass looks clear.

#6 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-July-11, 22:22

I would bid 2S on hand 1. I need KQJ or similar for 3S. Too much chance of going for a number against nothing.

Hand 2 I'm letting go. I very much doubt we're missing anything.

Hand 3 I duck smoothly, although I'd like to know if I have an entry. I presume not...

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-July-12, 08:43

The best way to beat the last one is to probably duck the club, as everyone has said.

The problem with ducking the club is that you need partner to have both the third club and an entry, and for declarer not to have 9 tricks, and for it to be right to give up a club trick. This is possible - give declarer AQx Jxx AQJxx Q10 say - but I suspect it is antipercentage.

While if declarer has something like Kx Ax AQJxxx Q109 he can make 11 if he plays for it (and when you duck the club, perhaps he should) and if he has Axx Jx AQxxx Q109 you need to win and switch to a spade, while KQx Jx AQxxxx QT9 ducking concedes 10 tricks and you can hold it to 9.

So all in all, I win the second club and play a spade.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users