BBO Discussion Forums: Omar Sharif Legendary Actor ,Master Bridge Player ,Sex Symbol, Gentleman R.I.P - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Omar Sharif Legendary Actor ,Master Bridge Player ,Sex Symbol, Gentleman R.I.P Obituary

#1 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-July-11, 04:10

Omar Sharif sadly passed away in Egypt yesterday aged 89. He was the reason I took up the game
many moons ago. I frequently played in the worldwide pairs contests sponsored by electronics giant EPSON throughout the '90s
Omar commented and analysed the deals in a complimentary booklet. It was a joy to follow his comments. He admitted in an interview 10 years ago
that,ironically,it was his addiction to cards that wrecked his acting career. A born gambler,he lost thousands at cards and not just
at bridge. He was also a heavy smoker and this contributed to his failing health. During his time as a player,Sharif partnered many of the top
players of the time including legends Belladonna and Garozzo. He also founded a touring team of professional bridge players called the "Omar Sharif
Bridge Circus" which made tours of Europe and North America throughout the 1970s and 80s taking on powerful teams including the legendary
DALLAS ACES in head to head matches.Despite sponsorship of $50,000 in 1970,none of the American tours were a commercial success although they did generate
wide publicity for bridge. Sharif once commented that "Acting is my business,bridge is my passion". All through his life,he was a great ambassador
for the game making frequent publicity appearances at top level events. He will be sadly missed,by thespians and bridge players alike.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-11, 04:18

PhilG007, on 2015-July-11, 04:10, said:

Omar Sharif sadly passed away in Egypt yesterday aged 89. He was the reason I took up the game
many moons ago. I frequently played in the worldwide pairs contests sponsored by electronics giant EPSON throughout the '90s
Omar commented and analysed the deals in a complimentary booklet. It was a joy to follow his comments. He admitted in an interview 10 years ago
that,ironically,it was his addiction to cards that wrecked his acting career. A born gambler,he lost thousands at cards and not just
at bridge. He was also a heavy smoker and this contributed to his failing health. During his time as a player,Sharif partnered many of the top
players of the time including legends Belladonna and Garozzo. He also founded a touring team of professional bridge players called the "Omar Sharif
Bridge Circus" which made tours of Europe and North America throughout the 1970s and 80s taking on powerful teams including the legendary
DALLAS ACES in head to head matches.Despite sponsorship of $50,000 in 1970,none of the American tours were a commercial success although they did generate
wide publicity for bridge. Sharif once commented that "Acting is my business,bridge is my passion". All through his life,he was a great ambassador
for the game making frequent publicity appearances at top level events. He will be sadly missed,by thespians and bridge players alike.

We know, it is already posted HERE
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-July-11, 04:31

MrAce, on 2015-July-11, 04:18, said:

We know, it is already posted HERE

That article only deals with his acting and personal life. There is only a passing reference to bridge.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-July-11, 05:13

Obits usually go to the RIP thread in the Water Cooler, PG. Not a big deal to post here though.

WBF published an article covering more of Sharif's bridge life:
http://www.worldbrid...mar-sharif.aspx

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-11, 07:04

PhilG007, on 2015-July-11, 04:10, said:

Omar Sharif sadly passed away in Egypt yesterday aged 89 83.

FYP. A mere stripling.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-July-11, 10:37

diana_eva, on 2015-July-11, 05:13, said:

Obits usually go to the RIP thread in the Water Cooler, PG. Not a big deal to post here though.

Those are usually non-bridge-related RIPs.

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-July-18, 02:59

barmar, on 2015-July-11, 10:37, said:

Those are usually non-bridge-related RIPs.

Well yea because there are less bridge players than non-bridge players.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users