• You cannot reply to this topic

Hearts

#1 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-10, 01:17

Club Swiss

3=26, 8-11 HCP. What's your plan?
If you think this agreement is silly, you get to bid after 1-1N; 3-4, which is not necessarily better imo.

Do you agree with the initial pass?
3=fit showing.
Worth an additional move?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-10, 07:37

1- 4 natural forcing.

2-I have to make another move. We want to be in slam vs a lot of hands some of which can be as low as pd holding only 6 hcps. I'd start with 5 showing 1st round control, and if pd bids 5 I will bid 5 and go from there. Let's don't forget he did jump to game after we bid 3. He has either a good hand or he liked something about our previous bid. And he knows we are coming from pass so it should not be hard for him to to figure that we have 5+ spades and a wild shape, which made us bidding suddenly like a bull in china town.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-July-10, 08:58

On the 1st one, I bid 4. I don't see what good 4 does, since the two things we want to avoid here are telling the opps to lead diamonds or suggesting to partner that clubs should be trumps. Our hearts aren't great but on this auction hearts are where we are playing. The hand is very good, but not good enough that slam is favourite, since he needs magic cards, and we shouldn't play for magic cards, especially when we can't convey to partner that they are magic if he has them.

On the second, I agree with timo.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-July-10, 09:05

1: Need to know more about partner and the 3 bid, does partner just trot this out if in range and shape ? or does it actually show a good heart suit ? (and btw I would NEVER have to bid in your alternative auction, there are several better ways to bid these).

2: I feel the need to move, I'd bid 5 warning partner of bad trumps the way we play and suggesting a void to have not keycarded.

#5 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-10, 09:17

View PostMrAce, on 2015-July-10, 07:37, said:

1- 4 natural forcing.

Partner cues 4, what now?

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-July-10, 09:05, said:

1: Need to know more about partner and the 3 bid, does partner just trot this out if in range and shape ? or does it actually show a good heart suit ? (and btw I would NEVER have to bid in your alternative auction, there are several better ways to bid these).

Partner probably has an OK suit, but he doesn't have another way to show this shape & strength.
Which makes me realize that I should probably swap the direct 3 (currently 26) and 3 after 1N (currently 0-16), because otherwise responder is stuck after 1-1N-2 (if he has 26 at least he can suppress his heart suit and raise spades).
I'd be happy to hear about your better alternatives.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-July-10, 12:01

View Postantonylee, on 2015-July-10, 09:17, said:

4, cue, showing an honor in this suit. Since it is pd's long suit can be done by only Q.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-July-10, 12:32

i'm curious what people think we would bid over 3 with AKxxx Axx xx AQx.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-July-10, 15:25

1 - 4 - If partner has 2 and 6 , it's unlikely that there will be a big club fit. Slam seems very remote. So let's play in the 6-1 fit rather than the 5-2 fit.

2 - I agree with the others that you need to make a move. If the negative double is normal, there might be a heart ruff out there. But I'll make a 4 cue.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-July-10, 16:01

View PostPhil, on 2015-July-10, 12:32, said:

i'm curious what people think we would bid over 3 with AKxxx Axx xx AQx.

I suspect you are fishing for the notion that 4 is a cuebid in support of hearts, and I agree (if you are) that such is a very useful device, and it might well be something that I would have agreed upon with partner were I to play the 3 gadget. I don't...I have another use for it (a splinter, in any suit, opener to ask if interested, with 4m used for two other raise types).

I just wouldn't suggest an implied cuebid in an undiscussed auction, but you could sell me on this idea very, very easily.

Absent the idea, I would just bid 5 as a general, do you like your hand, slam try. Admittedly this may be as much adjective-bridge as 4C cue bid would be, but he knows I didn't keycard so I can't have a hand on which keycard, including exclusion, can be of any use. I'd expect him to move with good hearts (KQxxxx or better) and a side Ace, and that's what I would be hoping for to make slam reasonable. When in doubt, revert to good old fashioned quantitative bidding.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-July-10, 16:25

View Postmikeh, on 2015-July-10, 16:01, said:

I suspect you are fishing for the notion that 4 is a cuebid in support of hearts, and I agree (if you are) that such is a very useful device, and it might well be something that I would have agreed upon with partner were I to play the 3 gadget. I don't...I have another use for it (a splinter, in any suit, opener to ask if interested, with 4m used for two other raise types).

I just wouldn't suggest an implied cuebid in an undiscussed auction, but you could sell me on this idea very, very easily.

Absent the idea, I would just bid 5 as a general, do you like your hand, slam try. Admittedly this may be as much adjective-bridge as 4C cue bid would be, but he knows I didn't keycard so I can't have a hand on which keycard, including exclusion, can be of any use. I'd expect him to move with good hearts (KQxxxx or better) and a side Ace, and that's what I would be hoping for to make slam reasonable. When in doubt, revert to good old fashioned quantitative bidding.

I can also see using a direct 5 as a cue begging for a diamond card. I think it was Gnasher, however, who thought 4 WAS a cue and two suiters have to stall with 3.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-July-10, 17:58

Partner probably has an OK suit, but he doesn't have another way to show this shape & strength.
Which makes me realize that I should probably swap the direct 3 (currently 26) and 3 after 1N (currently 0-16), because otherwise responder is stuck after 1-1N-2 (if he has 26 at least he can suppress his heart suit and raise spades).
I'd be happy to hear about your better alternatives.

Well what is 1-1N-3-3 for example ? why do you have to bid 4 ?

I would actually start with 1 (4+) playing what I play and 1-1-1(forcing opposite a real response)-2(at least semi constructive, only passed by min with no fit)-2(nat F, 5-5/5-6 extras) is a much lower start to the auction.

#12 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-10, 19:26

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-July-10, 17:58, said:

Well what is 1-1N-3-3 for example ? why do you have to bid 4 ?

I don't have any firm agreements here but I would assume that bidding 3 then 4 implies doubt about strain whereas a direct 4 implies wanting to play there even opposite a stiff (which is what partner had, in this case).

I would actually start with 1 (4+) playing what I play and 1-1-1(forcing opposite a real response)-2(at least semi constructive, only passed by min with no fit)-2(nat F, 5-5/5-6 extras) is a much lower start to the auction.

Ah, the advantages of opening 1 with 5-5 in the blacks. Oh well.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-July-10, 19:48

View Postmikeh, on 2015-July-10, 08:58, said:

On the 1st one, I bid 4. I don't see what good 4 does, since the two things we want to avoid here are telling the opps to lead diamonds or suggesting to partner that clubs should be trumps. Our hearts aren't great but on this auction hearts are where we are playing. The hand is very good, but not good enough that slam is favourite, since he needs magic cards, and we shouldn't play for magic cards, especially when we can't convey to partner that they are magic if he has them.

On the second, I agree with timo.

Why miracle cards needed? If we have a shot at grand slam vs and pretty much cold for slam, holding x AJxxxx Ax xxxx or x KJxxxx Ax Qxxx why should we not investigate? Grand slam and Slams have huge bonuses and we will not look for it because we want to conceal the obvious lead in a game with 30 hcps? It is not even MP!! The choice of leads have already been reduced to 2 suits, it is not like you are concealing a lot of things. Or did you think that 3 was preemptive?

If you make the spade doubleton and diamond singleton it even provides much more variety of hands to make slam.

Jx AJxxxx x Qxxx

etc

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2015-July-10, 21:26

View PostMrAce, on 2015-July-10, 19:48, said:

Why miracle cards needed? If we have a shot at grand slam vs and pretty much cold for slam, holding x AJxxxx Ax xxxx or x KJxxxx Ax Qxxx why should we not investigate? Grand slam and Slams have huge bonuses and we will not look for it because we want to conceal the obvious lead in a game with 30 hcps? It is not even MP!! The choice of leads have already been reduced to 2 suits, it is not like you are concealing a lot of things. Or did you think that 3 was preemptive?

If you make the spade doubleton and diamond singleton it even provides much more variety of hands to make slam.

Jx AJxxxx x Qxxx

etc

I think that expecting partner to hold a stiff diamond pretty much gets us into magic territory already. Note that he cannot be 1=6=2=4, since the 3 call promised 2 spades. So you are assuming a decent chance that, with the 19 missing minor suit cards, his 5 will be 1=4. You can test this yourself by sorting out the 19 missing minors, shuffling them, and then dealing 5 into one pile and 14 into the other. I expect that you will need to do this quite a few times in order to get as many as 3 hands where the 5 card holding is 1=4.

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-July-11, 01:46

View Postantonylee, on 2015-July-10, 19:26, said:

I don't have any firm agreements here but I would assume that bidding 3 then 4 implies doubt about strain whereas a direct 4 implies wanting to play there even opposite a stiff (which is what partner had, in this case).

This is fine, it tells me partner's heart suit is up to the job, my stiff Q is now a good holding.

Ah, the advantages of opening 1 with 5-5 in the blacks. Oh well.

We only open 1 with a couple of hand types where it can save a lot of space, the really good 5-5 hands and the sort of medium hands with 2 decent 5 card suits but not a hand as good as this, 1 otherwise.

Does partner ever hold a 7th one for this sequence ?

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-July-11, 02:06

View Postmikeh, on 2015-July-10, 21:26, said:

I think that expecting partner to hold a stiff diamond pretty much gets us into magic territory already. Note that he cannot be 1=6=2=4, since the 3 call promised 2 spades. So you are assuming a decent chance that, with the 19 missing minor suit cards, his 5 will be 1=4. You can test this yourself by sorting out the 19 missing minors, shuffling them, and then dealing 5 into one pile and 14 into the other. I expect that you will need to do this quite a few times in order to get as many as 3 hands where the 5 card holding is 1=4.

Oh i did not see or totally ignored the 2 mandatory, which is total BS btw. All it says in std use is that it can not have 3 spades. Perhaps he meant not more than 2 idk.

And no, I am not assuming anything, I am asking pd whether he has it or not. Huge difference between assuming that pd has it and going to slam or assuming pd does not have it and bidding 4 for sign off.

#17 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-11, 11:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-July-11, 01:46, said:

Does partner ever hold a 7th one for this sequence ?

Yes. Like in most non-relay approaches we don't differentiate between 6 and 7 card suits on the first round of a (constructive) auction :-)

View PostMrAce, on 2015-July-11, 02:06, said:

Oh i did not see or totally ignored the 2 mandatory, which is total BS btw. All it says in std use is that it can not have 3 spades.

Why would it be total BS? You have two jumps to 3 available, one directly over 1 and one via 1NT (F). If you decided to play JS as intermediate (which may or may not be optimal but is probably not total BS), you may as well use that to indicate spade tolerance or lack thereof (especially as 3 does take away a lot of space). Now as I noticed above, due to the possibility of a 2 rebid over 1N, it may be better to play the other way round (direct 3 = 0-1) though.

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-July-11, 21:03

View Postantonylee, on 2015-July-11, 11:29, said:

Why would it be total BS? You have two jumps to 3 available, one directly over 1 and one via 1NT (F).

No you don't.

Nobody can, unless of course they know exactly what the pd's rebid will be or if opponents will get in or not. And there are a lot of other hands to consider and find a solution how to bid when responder has 5 hcp and 7 card hearts.Posted Image
So yea, it i pretty much BS and optimistic expectation that they can express both hand types without thinking 1 step further.

#19 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-11, 21:13

Although you didn't mention it in your original post, I think you need a suit quality requirement for the 3H bid on the first hand. Assuming you promise decent hearts, then 4H looks automatic.

#20 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-12, 15:17

View PostMrAce, on 2015-July-11, 21:03, said:

Nobody can, unless of course they know exactly what the pd's rebid will be or if opponents will get in or not. And there are a lot of other hands to consider and find a solution how to bid when responder has 5 hcp and 7 card hearts.Posted Image
So yea, it i pretty much BS and optimistic expectation that they can express both hand types without thinking 1 step further.

If, over your 1NT(F) partner rebids 2/ then you are fine, if he rebids 2 then you are obviously happy, and if he rebids 2 you can suppress hearts and support spades. I would say the case of opener jump-shifting is rare enough to be ignored (and it's not as if the hand becomes unbiddable). A weak hand will just bid hearts without jumping at the next opportunity, as in standard.
Certainly this is a bit vulnerable to preemption, although again you have jumps and non-jumps in hearts available (over moderate preemption), and partner can always correct if he knows to expect two-card support.

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-July-11, 21:13, said:

Although you didn't mention it in your original post, I think you need a suit quality requirement for the 3H bid on the first hand. Assuming you promise decent hearts, then 4H looks automatic.

As mentioned above: Partner probably has an OK suit, but he doesn't have another way to show this shape & strength.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users