• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Carding

#1 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-09, 15:26

Matchpoints, club game.
The HK goes to to partner's 4 and declarer's ace. Declarer returns a spade and you decide to hop ace, partner playing the 2.
1. What does partner's 2 mean? Count? Attitude? SP? (You have agreed UCDA, usually attitude to partner's leads and count to declarer's).
2. How do you defend?

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-July-09, 20:41

Would suspect count is most prevalent unless we agreed to play obvious switch - then it's suit preference. So either H or x ...
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-10, 03:07

The 2 should be count, so p has 3. What was 4? Would he encourage with the 10? Is he giving count, because the K has been lead? If the were 33 declarer might have held up the A. Why did p play the 4 if they are 33? Maybe he has 1043 and did not want to play the 10?

If p has 4 he has the ten as he did not play the 3. If p has 2 cards he may have the ten

I assume East has a 12 count and p has 4. Any less and he surely runs and there is no room for more. Can we defeat this contract if p does not have ten ? Seems unlikely to me.

I would play the 2 next. This only costs if declarer started with A10(x) which seems unlikely on the play to date, although I do not know the methods well enough to be sure

#4 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-10, 04:25

I think we're reading way too much into pard's 2. Without going into the nuts and bolts too much:

We know partner has 2-4 hcp and thus one useful card - the Q, K or A/K. I think declarer would remove 1NTX to a five-card suit if he had one, so partner has at least three spades. Long story short, I think we need partner to have at least four spades to the 10 to be setting this regardless of what card partner has.

I don't think we're setting this unless partner has the Q (I leave it to the reader to work out why the other cards rate not to work). I'm exiting a spade - if declarer flies, we can cross to partner's 10 (or spot) to cash out. If declarer ducks, I cash out hearts and exit, prepared to dump the QJ if declarer plays that suit.

#5 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-10, 07:22

delete

#6 User is offline   ifluffette 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-July-10, 14:53

Simple case of Smith Echo. Partner's card, when count irrelevant, says I like your lead or I dont like your lead. You can play it std or udca.

#7 User is offline   echo25 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-July-11, 02:12

I agree it is Smith. Count doesn't give partner any useful information. If you don't play Smith, it's lavinthal.

#8 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-11, 21:20

As others have mentioned, you might consider adding the Smith Echo to your partnership agreements.

Regarding this hand, what is the rush to win the A? Looks better to play the J and at least gather an extra round of information before being on lead.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-13, 07:35

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-July-11, 21:20, said:

As others have mentioned, you might consider adding the Smith Echo to your partnership agreements.

A pair certainly might consider it but to write that it definitely is Smith without any agreement about it is ridiculous.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users