• You cannot reply to this topic

Winning ugly

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-07, 18:43

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

I got a great result on this board, but I didn't earn it. I was maneuvered into it by the state of the match and by the balancing no trump gap that's been documented previously and in several posts recently. I needed a substantial gain on this board, so I couldn't afford to defend 1 and I couldn't afford to pass 3. Note, though, that my non-jump 3NT rebid showed 22-25 HCP. That's how I (and 2 other desperados) got to 6. But that means that on this sequence there is no way for South to bid a balanced hand of 15-21 HCP. This is even more egregious than the gap that exists when North cue bids, which previously-documented hands show to be the 15-17 HCP range. IMHO this merits BBO's attention.

As a side note, given that South's balancing double shows only 9+, should North be jumping to 3 with such slender values? According to all the documentation I can find, and in my own partnerships, North needs an opening bid of its own to jump in response to a balancing double. A benefit of this approach is it leaves a strong South hand with room to rebid in a suit and especially to rebid in NT at more than 1 level to show ranges above the 11-14 required for a balancing bid of 1NT.

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-08, 17:36

View Postuva72uva72, on 2015-July-07, 18:43, said:

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

I got a great result on this board, but I didn't earn it. I was maneuvered into it by the state of the match and by the balancing no trump gap that's been documented previously and in several posts recently. I needed a substantial gain on this board, so I couldn't afford to defend 1 and I couldn't afford to pass 3. Note, though, that my non-jump 3NT rebid showed 22-25 HCP. That's how I (and 2 other desperados) got to 6. But that means that on this sequence there is no way for South to bid a balanced hand of 15-21 HCP. This is even more egregious than the gap that exists when North cue bids, which previously-documented hands show to be the 15-17 HCP range. IMHO this merits BBO's attention.

As a side note, given that South's balancing double shows only 9+, should North be jumping to 3 with such slender values? According to all the documentation I can find, and in my own partnerships, North needs an opening bid of its own to jump in response to a balancing double. A benefit of this approach is it leaves a strong South hand with room to rebid in a suit and especially to rebid in NT at more than 1 level to show ranges above the 11-14 required for a balancing bid of 1NT.

I offered you the chance to poll your views and you rejected- stop whining.

Anyway can a freely passed hand contain 15 TP.

#3 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-08, 20:24

Stop whining about what? That I lucked into a good result? That, depending on how the auction develops, there may be no way to describe balanced hands of 15-21 HCP in balancing seat? That it's common to require more than 9 HCP for a jump in response to a balancing double?

And if you offered me the opportunity to poll my "views" (whatever they may have been and on whatever topic) I can't recall it; nor can I recall ever having had an exchange with you of any kind, to include rejecting said offer.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-July-10, 21:21

horrid 6 contact even assuming non lead. seems impossible to play in 3N
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-11, 11:44

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-July-10, 21:21, said:

horrid 6 contact even assuming non lead. seems impossible to play in 3N

Maybe I misunderstand... are you suggesting that you want to play in 3N? How about raising clubs?

#6 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-11, 19:38

I would just say that this is the third (at least) recent mention of this bug. After a double and a strength showing jump advance by partner, a 3NT bid is described as showing 22-25 points - clearly not nearly that much should be necessary.

And I certainly agree that the 3NT call, uh, leaves something to be desired. The call would not have even occurred to me.

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-July-12, 08:19

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-July-11, 11:44, said:

Maybe I misunderstand... are you suggesting that you want to play in 3N? How about raising clubs?

opposite a hand that has a double followed by 3N yes I want to play in 3N. this hand doesn't qualify for double, uva is masterminding with the robots not unusual. 3N with like 16-19 pts yes game in 3N would be fine. A 22+ pt monster then yes want to be in slam. but if doubler has 22+ pt monster their looking for slam not bidding 3N
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users