BBO Discussion Forums: One more for the road? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One more for the road?

Poll: One more for the road? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (21 votes [77.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

2. 6N (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

3. 7S (4 votes [14.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

4. 7N (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Abstain (would have bid 2H or 4D earlier) (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-06, 18:00

MPs scoring, weak field. Partner is limited to 15HCP (basic strong club system). Over 2N, partner could have shown shortage with 3x, or a good 5 card suit with 4x. Do you leave it or bid on?

And no, we were not playing strong jump shifts before anyone suggests 3H.
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-July-06, 18:25

none of your poll options work for me. I would have liked the option of passing and telling partner (after the game) that our partnership is over. I cannot imagine a hand that justifies 6. He is an idiot, a beginner, someone who doesn't trust me at all, or some combination thereof.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-July-06, 22:07

6 is a transfer to another partner.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-July-06, 23:32

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-July-06, 18:00, said:

MPs scoring, weak field. Partner is limited to 15HCP (basic strong club system). Over 2N, partner could have shown shortage with 3x, or a good 5 card suit with 4x. Do you leave it or bid on?
And no, we were not playing strong jump shifts before anyone suggests 3H.
IMO 7 = 10, Pass = 9. Undisciplined :( But It's hard to imagine a hand for partner without play for 7 :)
I'll apologise if partner gambled with something like A K x x x x - K Q J x x x x :( -- unless he makes it :)

#5 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-07, 01:16

Are you playing Benjamin 2s, or any kind of strong 2s?

It's hard to imagine a hand that can justify a 6 Spades rebid that couldn't justify an 8-playing tricks opening in the first place.

D.

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-July-07, 01:47

Partner has KTxxxxxx - AQJxx - and thinks we can't bid the grand anyways. I don't agree with him even if that's his hand but I'm not sure if I wanna break up the partnership just yet.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-07, 02:14

View Postmikeh, on 2015-July-06, 18:25, said:

none of your poll options work for me. I would have liked the option of passing and telling partner (after the game) that our partnership is over. I cannot imagine a hand that justifies 6. He is an idiot, a beginner, someone who doesn't trust me at all, or some combination thereof.

Maybe Bridge players like you, who denigrate their partners without having even seen their partners hand, are no great loss as Bridge partners anyway.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-07, 02:36

As well as my question above about whether or not you're playing any kind of strong 2s; given the total lack of interference by the opposition, surely a jump to 6 Spades has to be totally unnecessary on fundamental bidding principles. What reason can he possibly have for such a bid?

You've been granted all the time and space you need to explore the efficacy of any of the suggested contracts, so why not use it?

Yours, (dead curious ;) )

D.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-July-07, 02:43

View Postgwnn, on 2015-July-07, 01:47, said:

Partner has KTxxxxxx - AQJxx - and thinks we can't bid the grand anyways. I don't agree with him even if that's his hand but I'm not sure if I wanna break up the partnership just yet.

Thought of this myself, but looks like a 5N bid.

More likely he has the spade control but not the diamond, double void seems pretty likely.

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-July-07, 02:45

View PostDinarius, on 2015-July-07, 01:16, said:

Are you playing Benjamin 2s, or any kind of strong 2s?

It's hard to imagine a hand that can justify a 6 Spades rebid that couldn't justify an 8-playing tricks opening in the first place.

D.

They play strong club so they open any hand worthy of a Benjy two would open 1C. The only explanation for suddenly having a slam force after 2NT is a very long trump suit in a two-suited hand (two suiters are not always easy to show after 1C so maybe pard decided against that). Like I said though I still don't like the bidding even with the 8050 I suggested. I definitely don't think that one void suffices for such a bid so I gave him two. I'm prepared to look silly when manudude reveals that pard has a 6232 15 count. :P (or a 5233 20 count that forgot that we're playing strong club, or.....)
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-07, 02:48

View Postgwnn, on 2015-July-07, 02:45, said:

They play strong club so they open any hand worthy of a Benjy two would open 1C. The only explanation for suddenly having a slam force after 2NT is a very long trump suit in a two-suited hand (two suiters are not always easy to show after 1C so maybe pard decided against that). Like I said though I still don't like the bidding even with the 8050 I suggested. I definitely don't think that one void suffices for such a bid so I gave him two. I'm prepared to look silly when manudude reveals that pard has a 6232 15 count. :P

Ok, missed the bit about Strong Club system (it's early), but still don't understand the need to use up all that bidding space.

D.

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-July-07, 06:00

View Postrhm, on 2015-July-07, 02:14, said:

Maybe Bridge players like you, who denigrate their partners without having even seen their partners hand, are no great loss as Bridge partners anyway.

Rainer Herrmann
hyperbole is a recognized form of writing. I agree that my comment was over the top, but, seriously, can you construct any hand on which partner's optimal call is 6S?

Obviously he has a freak, but so what? It has to be better for him to do something else. 3S can never be wrong, assuming that it is forcing, even if it ostensibly shows a balanced max. He may get a cuebid that helps him or he can keep bidding beyond 4S to clue us in.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-07, 06:13

In a weak field you obviously don't bid a grand that is not on ice. It would be more interesting in a strong field but then again, this probably wouldn't happen in a strong field.

But seriously, unless p is an unlucky expert who thinks we agreed that 6 shows something very specific, Csaba must be right. He has two voids and probably his second suit is diamonds. So we could be off a keycard. I think with AKxxxxx-void-Axxxxx-void he might well have tried for the grand himself.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-July-07, 06:14

View PostDinarius, on 2015-July-07, 02:48, said:

Ok, missed the bit about Strong Club system (it's early), but still don't understand the need to use up all that bidding space.

D.

It's just this urge some people have to shrug in the middle of an auction, saying "oh well! I won't find out anything useful anyways so I might as well sign off." Actually the better player you are (and the less you play with GIB), the less likely you are to think like that. I still do it daily :ph34r:
      George Carlin

#15 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-07, 06:36

I am along with Mike, not the sort of action I expect from a "partner", and this player is not a partner. This sort of thing is just playing alone, and is rather insulting. I feel like bidding 7NT proof positive I can also play all alone.

#16 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-July-07, 06:51

Interesting to see how people interpret this. I'd say partner is on our side normally, so if they made that bid they did it because they judged it rates to be the best way, and not for insulting anyone. There has to be something he missed or felt he can't possibly get across in an intelligent manner hence the leap. It's bad and makes it tough on the 2NT bidder, but from that to how insulting, let's pass and punish him there's a long way.

#17 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2015-July-07, 07:53

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-July-07, 06:51, said:

Interesting to see how people interpret this. I'd say partner is on our side normally, so if they made that bid they did it because they judged it rates to be the best way, and not for insulting anyone. There has to be something he missed or felt he can't possibly get across in an intelligent manner hence the leap. It's bad and makes it tough on the 2NT bidder, but from that to how insulting, let's pass and punish him there's a long way.

I wasn't passing in order to insult him and even in my hyperbolic post I wasn't planning on saying anything critical until after the game and, who knows, maybe he'll explain/apologize before that happens. I passed because bidding grand here is just as bad, or worse, than his bidding 6. We're guessing and with even, IMO, less justification than he was likely to have had. I pass because I think it to likely be the better guess, but I don't like being in this situation.

#18 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-July-07, 08:21

I'd pass too FWIW bec we're just guessing, was just making an equally hyperbolic post about how strange it seems, to me at least, to see pd as a villain :)

#19 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-July-07, 08:35

I never bid more over a leap to slam, as I do not bid grands on speculation. If partner is to be trusted (and how can partner possibly know?) then we are off a trick.

Give me a third ace and I would consider bidding one more.

#20 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-07, 09:14

I'm still waiting to know why we should forgive partner for the jump to 6 Spades in the first place. :huh:

D.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users