Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Properly citing bridge deals

#1 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-05, 02:57

I have been a bit annoyed when I realized that the deal from Mark Horton's July column in the ACBL Bridge Bulletin, which he describes as having played "in an early round of the Gold Cup against less than formidable opponents" comes in fact from the 15th World Youth Teams (bulletin #5) (spot cards and two variations in the play all identical). I don't think there's much to do about it, so it's just a free rant.

(edited to rectify the link)

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-05, 04:44

mark horton illicitly got access to a bridgeclublive's (terrible bridge site popular with EBU players at the time) database to pass to another online bridge site for financial gain during the early days of online bridge. i doubt your objection is going to cause him a great deal of mental anguish.

link for those worried about legal aspects: http://www.bridgeclu...sRelease-01.htm

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-05, 06:16

Nothing you two say can make me dislike this guy more than I already do.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-July-05, 09:50

The proper thing to do would be to write to editor@acbl.org. Hopefully they'll publish it in the Letters column, and include some kind of retraction/correction. Ranting here, where neither he nor the Bulletin editor can defend themselves, serves little purpose.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-05, 10:08

What Barry said.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-July-05, 10:16

sounds like a right sort
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-July-05, 10:16

View Postantonylee, on 2015-July-05, 02:57, said:

I have been a bit annoyed when I realized that the deal from Mark Horton's July column in the ACBL Bridge Bulletin, which he describes as having played "in an early round of the Gold Cup against less than formidable opponents" comes in fact from the 15th World Youth Teams (bulletin #5) (spot cards and two variations in the play all identical). I don't think there's much to do about it, so it's just a free rant.

You should send an email to the Bulletin (with proof of where the deal was played) and they'll print a correction.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users