• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stop! [non-jump]

#21 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-05, 08:37

Thanks. I've emailed the club management to complain formally. I don't suppose it'll achieve much, but it seemed like I should try rather than just whinging here.

As for 'shouting' - I dunno. Where d'you draw the line? They were raising their voices enough that I didn't feel like I could have made myself heard without shouting, but not bellowing like the town crier.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#22 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-05, 09:11

View Postsanst, on 2015-July-05, 07:37, said:

Passing 3 has nothing to do with bridge and is the wrong way to teach W a lesson to use that for an AS.

jxx qxxx kxxxx x. what would east bid over the double and which contract would you like to play?

#23 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-05, 09:38

View Postwank, on 2015-July-05, 09:11, said:

jxx qxxx kxxxx x. what would east bid over the double and which contract would you like to play?

Please, look at west's hand. Passing 3 with that hand is lunatic.
Joost

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-05, 09:41

View PostJinksy, on 2015-July-05, 08:37, said:

Thanks. I've emailed the club management to complain formally. I don't suppose it'll achieve much, but it seemed like I should try rather than just whinging here.

As for 'shouting' - I dunno. Where d'you draw the line? They were raising their voices enough that I didn't feel like I could have made myself heard without shouting, but not bellowing like the town crier.

A director at the table when this happens should deal firmly with the offender(s) - on both sides if that's the case. Clearly the director in this case wasn't going to do that. I would wait calmly until they shut up, and then ask the director "may I have the floor, please?" Now, if they interrupt, I would say to the director "I believe I have the floor". It may not (probably will not, with this director) go well, but at least you have the satisfaction of having gone about things the right way.

Side note: when the director comes to the table, she should first determine who called her. That person has the floor; other players should be told to wait their turn, and penalized if they won't shut up. When the caller has made his case, other players will be allowed to speak, opposing side (one player, not both) first. When everyone has had his say, the director should ask any questions that come to mind, directing those questions to a specific player. At all times the director should maintain firm control over what's happening.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-05, 10:44

View Postsanst, on 2015-July-05, 09:38, said:

Please, look at west's hand.

do you think double of 2s shows a 2344 13 count?

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-05, 11:04

View Postwank, on 2015-July-05, 10:44, said:

Many people open that 1 or 1N (I believe Jinksy is in the UK)

We would bid a 1345 12 count that way, but I accept our treatment may be unusual.

#27 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-05, 12:33

View Postwank, on 2015-July-05, 10:44, said:

That is a good rhetorical question, but it is misdirection to the debate about adjusting to a 3D partscore. Responder responded (6+ in a rational world), and we thus have at the very least 24+ between us. Passing 3D is not a logical alternative to anything West might have bid, IMO, despite some notable posters who think it is. Pass could, however, have been suggested over bidding if West guessed East had a bad 4-6 and thought the call on her left was 1 instead of 2.

Sorry for repeating that earlier point.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users