#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-July-01, 17:14

whose to blame
thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-01, 17:29

North has a massive hand. I don't exactly like how south bid it but assuming he meant his double as "good hand" north can bid game directly. To pass 3D then pass 3H is criminal with 4 trumps and an ace and a doubleton spade.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#3 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-01, 17:35

It's almost as rational to jump to slam on the North hand as it is to stop in part score.

Put it this way - North has a clear jump to 3 on the second round and a 4 slam try on the fourth (they went to the bar on the third round).

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-July-01, 17:37

I think one of the hardest things to learn, to go from intermediate to advanced or beyond, is to start appreciating when strong hands have turned to crap and weak hands to gold. Here, the N hand turned to gold.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-01, 17:47

south's 3h bid was excessive. he already showed a strong hand and he's got no extra length. north was absurd repeatedly.

#6 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-01, 22:41

After 3,I never raise to 3,I would better make a double to tell north my good hand,let north decide final contract.

#7 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-02, 00:22

my guess is and only a guess.

North never never knew south had a strong hand.

the north hand is not golden when north does not know south has stronghand

---------------

to put this another way. I bet if you ask north...north thought south was just comp bid.

If so then the hand becomes a teaching one....when is south really strong after michaels bid......I bet many many are confused.

So many play michaels bid =wk, int, strong or whatever

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-02, 00:23

NORTH
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-July-02, 01:03

this is yet another example that shows the MIchaELS CUEBID CONVENTION IS BROKEN.

You can look at this bid over the decades and see how often confusion arises, too often.

Over and over again people say what the bid should mean....they miss the point, people don't know...too many don't know for whatever reason.

#10 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-02, 01:20

North's passing of 3D is poor but South's 3H bid is equally poor particularly after East's 2S bid.

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-July-02, 02:45

Was your Michaels "weak or strong" or any range ?

With the weak/strong variant, this is easy, the double says strong probably without extra shape and N should just bid game.

For the "any range" variant it's more awkward, I think I'd have done something other than double over 2 which could (although shouldn't) suggest to partner in an undiscussed sequence your spades are much better than your hearts and you have a reasonable hand, something like AQJ9x, J10xxx, x, KQ essentially a free invite to 3 but even so, with 4 trumps partner should bid 3 over 3 and you now bid 4.

#12 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-July-02, 03:38

The only thing that this hand demonstrates is that the partnership had no pre arranged agreement as to whether the Michaels convention was preemptive or strong.

Without such, no rational opinion is possible except shame on both of them for not discussing it.

#13 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-02, 03:47

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-July-02, 02:45, said:

With the weak/strong variant, this is easy, the double says strong probably without extra shape and N should just bid game.

Why does it show that?

To me, it looks as though partner, having shown spades has doubled a spade bid for penalties. I know I'm naive :( but I doubt my equally naive partners would understand the double either. A direct raise to 3 would show a strong hand and do the job much more safely.

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2015-July-02, 04:32

Both are equally to be blamed.Instead of doubling 2spades South must bid Three Diamonds to show a powerful hand or at least three heart depending upon the partnership agreement.North was a little over conservative in passing three hearts or even the three diamond bid.He could have doubled three diamonds to show a better than Yarborough hand or bid three hearts then and there only.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-02, 04:44

View PostStevenG, on 2015-July-02, 03:47, said:

Why does it show that?

To me, it looks as though partner, having shown spades has doubled a spade bid for penalties. I know I'm naive :( but I doubt my equally naive partners would understand the double either. A direct raise to 3 would show a strong hand and do the job much more safely.

No, 2 was not a support for hearts. It was preference. Thus raising to 3 shows extra hearts. When someone says he has 5-5 majors, he does not double spades for penalty. His pd already knows he has spades. Dbl shows strength. You may argue that passing 2 shows weak spades and doubling shows good ones. This is a very small target for it to be useful if any. No need to let opponents gain bidding space by doubling when your intention is not to bid further. Now assume pd had 2 and single , you double 2 with strength and pd now can double them at 3 level wherever they run, if he wants to. But by bidding 3, instead of getting a juicy penalty bonus, you probably will end up playing 3 5-2 fit when your pd has no help to spade either.

3 is anything but a safe bid!

I do not even know why we are still debating this. I do not even know why people think all of this should be pre agreement or that michaels is broken. Michaels has its weak spots but this is not one of them. I strongly doubt neither Justin nor Mike nor Phil have exclusively discussed with their pd about what they just wrote here. This is ABC of bridge. This DBL or double of any suit after michaels, when both suits are known, is extras. It is not agreement, it is logic. Raising the suit to 3 level just because you have extras, when double was available, is downright awful thing to do. I see people still replying that blame goes to both, because S could have bid 3. I call this BS, 3 shows a huge hand, at least bigger than this. And just like 3 3 forces us to play 3 if not 4 or 5 a 5-2 or at best 5-3 fit when we were about to kill them. Sadly all of this tells me we still have people who has not yet grasped the difference between support and simple preference and commenting in int/adv forums. This should have been solved long ago when we just started bridge!

If we still can not see that North was out to lunch on this board, we have serious problems about bidding. And I am not talking about only michaels bidding. South overbid his hand by 3 and this did not cause any damage. Perhaps he knew his pd and did it on purpose, but as I said N was out to lunch.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-July-02, 04:59

Some say that this is about agreements or about understanding the Michaels convention but it really isn't. It is about something much more basic and much more important.

North knows that he hasn't promised his partner anything. He could have had two hearts and zero points. Despite this, his partner bids 3. At all red this clearly doesn't mean that he is primarily looking for a sac against 3. He is saying that he still has interest in game.

South probably already showed extra values with his double. But even if that wasn't the case, 3 would be a serious message.

North should think: If p thinks he can make nine tricks with almost no help from me, surely ten tricks must have good chances. I can ruff a spade loser, my hearts are no great but they are long enough to prevent p from being tapped or from losing a trick to Jxxx. Now that East has shown that his values are in diamonds and spades (if that is what the 2 bid shows, who knows), my club honours may be well placed. Even if not, A is always a great card.

Don't think: I have a bad hand. I am passing.
Do think: My hand is a lot better than it might have been, and p is showing interest despite knowing that I don't have much.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-02, 05:08

I'm not clear on what the double is. If the double is for penalty, then I blame South. If the double is a raise, then I blame North.

#18 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-02, 05:38

View PostMrAce, on 2015-July-02, 04:44, said:

I strongly doubt neither Justin nor Mike nor Phil have exclusively discussed with their pd about what they just wrote here. This is ABC of bridge. This DBL or double of any suit after michaels, when both suits are known, is extras. It is not agreement, it is logic. Raising the suit to 3 level just because you have extras, when double was available, is downright awful thing to do.

There is a problem here. I don't play with Justin or Mike or Phil (or Timo). Double is obviously the right thing to do with an expert partner. But this is the I/A forum, and I can promise you it will fail dismally with an intermediate/adv- partner, at least in my part of Acol-land. I would still bid 3, despite having read the thread, for the logic Helene gives in another post. I know partner has only shown preference, and may have nothing. But I could have passed, so I'm still interested, and I would expect partner to raise on that hand. It may be crude, but it's practical, and it's the best I can do with the partners I have.

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-July-02, 06:28

View PostStevenG, on 2015-July-02, 03:47, said:

Why does it show that?

Anything other than pass or possibly 3/4 which you might bid with more cards in your suits shows the strong hand as far as I'm concerned, you have 2N/3m available to show good hands so you can impart a lot of info with discussion. You don't double 2 for pens with AQ10xx, Q10xxx, xx, x as there is no guarantee you're beating it even with 4 trump tricks.

#20 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-02, 06:42

1) IMO North's initial bid of 2 is wrong. That hand has to do something more, as all 2 says is 'I prefer hearts to spades and I'm not thrilled about it.' I really like the previous comment on recognizing (paraphrasing) 'when good hands go bad and when bad hands go good'.

2) South's double of 2 is understandable but probably inefficient. It's hard to believe opener was serious with 2 and the natural reaction would be to double, but IMO all this double says is 'my spades are pretty good'. It doesn't say anything about overall quality. 3 is probably better at asking - begging? - North to go on to game with anything that resembles a value or two.

3) If North is going to underbid at first turn, North MUST bid 3 after responder's 3 correction. This is a serious error, worse than the original underbid. North has an extra heart and side ace, but in ostrich-like fashion put his/her head in the sand. A 3 call is more than enough to get South to bid the good game.

As far as South's last call goes, 3 was all South could do at that point. North has been saying continuously 'I've got nothing' and South needs help to make game.

Maybe North was asleep...

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users