• You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding Question

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-June-30, 13:40

2 spades is a weak 2, 3h says nothing about spades

my question is, is 4s cue for hearts? I think so but didn't want to try it out on my partner! (my hand was - vul against not)

AKxxxx
Txxx
-
Jtx

thanks
Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-30, 13:52

Interesting idea. I would put this under the heading of a bid that makes sense that no one would ever work out at the table.

As long as you are by-passing 4 in order to cue bid in support of hearts, 5 would be a lot clearer. Not only do you have control of diamonds (a happy coincidence) but any cue bid in support of hearts at the 5 level strongly implies (if not guarantees) control of spades. How could you possibly have a slam try in support of hearts without very useful cards such as AK of spades and a void in diamonds? It is almost inconceivable.

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-30, 14:08

i would never have that hand for a 2s opener. you have a huge hand for hearts. ak of spades are good in any suit. your xxxx of hearts is far more use for ruffing diamonds in hearts than it ever would be in spades. many english people seem to think a weak 2 just shows a 6 card suit and a hand too weak to open at the 1 level, but that's only part of it. it shows a high ODR and shouldn't be overly playable in unbid majors, because it's very difficult to find alternate fits after a weak 2.

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-June-30, 14:17

View Postwank, on 2015-June-30, 14:08, said:

i would never have that hand for a 2s opener. you have a huge hand for hearts. ak of spades are good in any suit. your xxxx of hearts is far more use for ruffing diamonds in hearts than it ever would be in spades. many english people seem to think a weak 2 just shows a 6 card suit and a hand too weak to open at the 1 level, but that's only part of it. it shows a high ODR and shouldn't be overly playable in unbid majors, because it's very difficult to find alternate fits after a weak 2.

Interesting, thanks. I like to think I'm very disciplined with vul weak 2's but I can see that this hand is too good possibly
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-June-30, 21:29

While I wouldn't practice 2 here, 4 seems the best way to tell partner that you have extras. It's easier to imagine 4-card support. 4 conjures AKxxxx - Jxxx J10x
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-01, 07:46

You can't force to the 5-level no matter how fantastic your hand is for hearts. P might have less than GF values. He might even have spade support with a lead director in hearts. You can agree on a sexy meaning for dbl in this spot but other than that, 4 is all you can do.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-01, 10:46

What would you bid with (over 4d) KQJTxx Kx x xxxx I submit 4s would seem like a very rational choice with this hopefully 1 loser max suit. Since it is reasonable for 4s to be natural it takes a partnership agreement to change the natural meaning. I echo the 5d bid as a vastly superior way to raise hearts and show slam interest.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users