BBO Discussion Forums: could you please in the name of everything that's holy.. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

could you please in the name of everything that's holy.. stop bidding these slams p?

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-June-30, 10:13

Total points tourney.

GIB regularly does stuff like this. The funniest are:

1M-1NT
2m-3m
5m-6m "one for the road!"

No, 5m does not show 17-18 points, it shows "thanks for the info, now shut your piehole partner."
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-30, 11:10

Sure, we all agree with you about the meaning of 5.

But as long as GIB does not agree with you, it will keep bidding slam. So you can't bid 5.

#3 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-30, 11:13

When GIB was originally created, there were sort of default rules that stated essentially "for the 4 level we need 25 points, for the 5 level we need 29 points", etc. So if you made a bid on the 5 level opposite a minimum of 12, you had at least 17. I thought when it came to 5m bids these were mostly fixed, but clearly some remain. It will be fixed, my guess is in the next update.

And yes like Art said, check the definition first and if a 5m bid shows way more than it should, bid 4m. If as here you are worried about it being passed then I admit you are sort of screwed, but you might check 4S and X as possible bids as well.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-30, 11:18

View Postjdonn, on 2015-June-30, 11:13, said:

When GIB was originally created, there were sort of default rules that stated essentially "for the 4 level we need 25 points, for the 5 level we need 29 points", etc. So if you made a bid on the 5 level opposite a minimum of 12, you had at least 17. I thought when it came to 5m bids these were mostly fixed, but clearly some remain. It will be fixed, my guess is in the next update.

And yes like Art said, check the definition first and if a 5m bid shows way more than it should, bid 4m. If as here you are worried about it being passed then I admit you are sort of screwed, but you might check 4S and X as possible bids as well.

JDonn,

I am about to post a new thread that, in part, covers the same ground. Please check it out.

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-June-30, 11:51

View PostArtK78, on 2015-June-30, 11:10, said:

Sure, we all agree with you about the meaning of 5.

But as long as GIB does not agree with you, it will keep bidding slam. So you can't bid 5.

When I play robot races I don't have time to check every single jump to 5m to see which one promises 18 points and which ones are signoffs. All I can do is report each of them when they happen. Yes I try to check but really in robot races it's just not practical. Maybe it's a question of connection or my reading speed.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-30, 20:16

View Postgwnn, on 2015-June-30, 11:51, said:

When I play robot races I don't have time to check every single jump to 5m to see which one promises 18 points and which ones are signoffs. All I can do is report each of them when they happen. Yes I try to check but really in robot races it's just not practical. Maybe it's a question of connection or my reading speed.

I'm sure gwnn is an experienced enough GIB player to know that always checking potential bid meanings would improve your score in a game where time is not a factor. I presume his purpose here is to help improve GIB.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users