Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What to bid?

#1 User is online   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-29, 14:29

Playing 2/1 with forcing NT, RED, at MPs.

x
ATxx
J9xxx
ATx

And of course the bidding goes 1S 1NT 2C.

I couldnt bring myself to introduce so weak Ds (some even play it as a noncompulsory texas for H) and show preference with a small x (turn it into a Q or K and I might). Passing with 9 HCP in a potential 3-3 fit was also not great so I reluctantly went for 2NT although a whole HCP light for the call (lucky I had 2 ACES ans 2 TENS).

I ended up in 3NT making with a friendly defense, a 3-3 break and a good 14 hand from partner. But what was I supposed to do?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-29, 15:52

View Postapollo1201, on 2015-June-29, 14:29, said:

Playing 2/1 with forcing NT, RED, at MPs.

x
ATxx
J9xxx
ATx

And of course the bidding goes 1S 1NT 2C.

I couldnt bring myself to introduce so weak Ds (some even play it as a noncompulsory texas for H) and show preference with a small x (turn it into a Q or K and I might). Passing with 9 HCP in a potential 3-3 fit was also not great so I reluctantly went for 2NT although a whole HCP light for the call (lucky I had 2 ACES ans 2 TENS).

I ended up in 3NT making with a friendly defense, a 3-3 break and a good 14 hand from partner. But what was I supposed to do?

2 NT is not that bad at all with all these good spot cards, Aces and considering your other options. You did what I probably would have.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-29, 16:33

You are right near the balancing point btn go and no go. At IMPS I would go (bid 2n like you did) and MP (where stretching to bid thin games is of minor importance) I would pass. I realize clubs (ugh) is not a MP haven but we might get lucky enough to score a couple of spade ruffs to help us get some MP out of this hand. The misfit in spades and lack of a suit of our own are the main problems with any NT venture (at IMPS we can celebrate even sub 40% games that we would hate at MP).

#4 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-June-29, 16:57

2N isn't much of an overbid - shows 9+ to 11 or so w/1NF.
This hand is a minimum 2N.
You might land in a 23 HCP 3N, but that's not the first nor last time that will happen.
Sounds like you had fun playing it!
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#5 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-29, 17:01

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-June-29, 17:04

I'd bid 2 NT with the hand. Typically, with 5-8 points, you try to sign off somewhere at the 2 level. With more, you'll make a forward going call.

Even though you have only 9 points, you have 2 QTs in the form of 2 As. You have accompanying intermediate 10s for the As. Even your J has an accompanying intermediate 9 in a 5 card suit. So there's lots of positives beyond the negative of holding a stiff in partner's suit. So the hand is definitely worth more than 9, call it 9+, and worth a forward going bid.

Since you could bid either red suit at the 2 level to signoff, bidding 3 of a red suit would be forward going. But you recognized that J9xxx is not something that you should bid at the 3 level. So, 2 NT is exactly right.

Since partner has bid 1 to start, partner can hold up to just under jump shifting values or enough to bid 2 NT directly over 1 NT. With those hands, partner will still make a minimum rebid and hope you can find more than a signoff rebid. So, by making a forward going bid, you give partner the chance to carry on when holding those hands.

#7 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-30, 02:23

Take your pick, either pass or bid 2NT.

You dont bid out of fear playing in a 33, if this is the case drop the agreement,
that opener can bid a 3 carder.
You bid on, because game may be on.

Playing MPs, you need to get it right, meaning you need to find the option, that
leads to a plus score.

For what's it worth: I would pass, playing IMPs, ebing red would be a lot harder,
and most likely you should try to go for gold.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users