• You cannot reply to this topic

AAAAARGHHH! NOOOOOO! myhands login

#41 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-July-03, 11:47

View PostWayne_LV, on 2015-July-03, 11:45, said:

What am I missing?

What is the difference between logging in and seeing the Robot tournaments and not logging in and seeing the Robot tournaments?

You can see your own. You can't see some of the other people's robot tourneys (instants and robot duplicates).

#42 User is offline   ThymePuns 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-July-06, 22:23

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-June-30, 20:07, said:

Then what would they show? It sounds like the point of this exercise is to prevent people from knowing "if I hold this exact hand in an Instant Dupe, I will know where all the other cards are".

A placeholder that showed the hand was played but basically nothing else. Two reasons for this.
1) A better user experience where you hide only what you need to until you log. It will be faster when you aren't looking for a robo hand, but you haven't to do a "am I logged in?" check every time you're not seeing a hand you expected (which would often be a time selection problem). It's better to list everything you before logging in so that when you do log in, you haven't lost your place, so to speak.
2) Uniquely for me, I also want to use this to load the number of hands a user has played as we'll use this as part of our youth program.

#43 User is offline   ThymePuns 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-July-06, 22:24

View Postbarmar, on 2015-July-01, 09:26, said:

It uses PHP's built-in session feature. I believe this uses normal session cookies, I don't know if there's a way to extend their life.

You can just use persistent cookies instead of session cookies. You wouldn't do that if you were logging into anything important since it's not very secure, but shouldn't be any problem for something this low risk.

#44 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-07, 02:51

View PostThymePuns, on 2015-July-06, 22:24, said:

You can just use persistent cookies instead of session cookies. You wouldn't do that if you were logging into anything important since it's not very secure, but shouldn't be any problem for something this low risk.

I support this.

A persistent cookie (at least, say, six months) would have the desired effect without the current annoyance. By this I mean that you will recognise the previous recent login and bypass the username check and launch straight into the program with the saved username.

I know that it is not the end of the world, but I am just a little p******d off at the extra effort of entering my username on every login to the hands archive.

And ......... I have a suggestion :

Now that you have the username, could you not use that as a "default" for the user to be 'looked up'. After all, it is usually me that I am looking up.

Every key stroke saved is welcome when you only have one hand.

#45 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-07, 13:36

View Postjandrew, on 2015-July-07, 02:51, said:

Now that you have the username, could you not use that as a "default" for the user to be 'looked up'. After all, it is usually me that I am looking up.

I knew there was something I was meaning to do. Thanks for the reminder.

#46 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-July-28, 08:59

A persistent cookie (at least, say, six months) would have the desired effect without the current annoyance. By this I mean that you will recognise the previous recent login and bypass the username check and launch straight into the program with the saved username.

This has been implemented now. There's a "keep me logged in" checkbox on the login page, and it keeps you logged in for a month. The expiration time gets pushed back every time you use the page, so you'll stay logged in permanently as long as you use myhands at least once a month.

#47 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-July-28, 09:14

And when I was writing the last reply, I saw that I forgot about this. So I just did it.

#48 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-July-28, 13:04

This has been implemented now. There's a "keep me logged in" checkbox on the login page, and it keeps you logged in for a month. The expiration time gets pushed back every time you use the page, so you'll stay logged in permanently as long as you use myhands at least once a month.

View Postjandrew, on 2015-July-07, 09:51, said:

And when I was writing the last reply, I saw that I forgot about this. So I just did it.

This is wonderful - super - and so much easier.
Thanks a bunch.

#49 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-05, 02:56

There is a new release available of the Double Dummy Solver that works again with myhands. It's a little bit clunky but I suspect that most will cope without a problem if they read the instructions!
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#50 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-August-05, 05:10

I have been involved in testing this, and it works for me on Win 8.1 and IE11.

Just a word of warning. It may just be me, but if it goes into hour-glass mode and "program not responding" while downloading the files, leave it for a good 5 minutes or so before giving up. With me I kept giving up too early, but after resolving to leave it and have a cup of tea it did eventually wake up and complete. Seemed to be a problem only if the download was large.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#51 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2015-August-05, 05:45

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-August-05, 05:10, said:

I have been involved in testing this, and it works for me on Win 8.1 and IE11.

Just a word of warning. It may just be me, but if it goes into hour-glass mode and "program not responding" while downloading the files, leave it for a good 5 minutes or so before giving up. With me I kept giving up too early, but after resolving to leave it and have a cup of tea it did eventually wake up and complete. Seemed to be a problem only if the download was large.

It works for me on Windows 10 and Chrome.

A cup of tea is the answer to many of life's problems.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#52 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-05, 06:16

View Postpaulg, on 2015-August-05, 05:45, said:

A cup of tea is the answer to many of life's problems.

My keyboard would like to remind everyone that a cup of tea can be one of life's problems.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users