BBO Discussion Forums: Hearthstone - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 22 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hearthstone

#21 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,460
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2015-June-30, 10:24

View Postbillw55, on 2015-June-30, 10:18, said:

Huh, just tried to install on my phone and it failed. Android 5.0.2, 2 gig RAM. Why is a mobile app 600+ meg?


What is your actual device, some of them that meet the minimum reqs are known to be incompatible with hearthstone
0

#22 User is offline   billw55 

  • enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,756
  • Joined: 2009-July-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-June-30, 11:55

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-June-30, 10:24, said:

What is your actual device, some of them that meet the minimum reqs are known to be incompatible with hearthstone

Phooey, I see that only older LG phones are on the "confirmed working" list. That must be the problem.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn
0

#23 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,460
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2015-June-30, 12:07

View Postbillw55, on 2015-June-30, 11:55, said:

Phooey, I see that only older LG phones are on the "confirmed working" list. That must be the problem.


I suggest registering for the Hearthstone forums (searching first for your model) and posting which phone you use, asking if anybody else has it working on that or knows they have issues, I play on my PC so can't comment.
0

#24 User is offline   PhantomSac 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,469
  • Joined: 2006-March-23
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-June-30, 15:46

I played this game for like 1 week but spent like 16 hours/day playing and reading about it. Consumed my life for a week, I only played ladder though never arena. Might get back into it but I get a little too obsessed with these kind of things.

I think Roger (clee) was quite good at one point.
The artist formerly known as jlall
0

#25 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,284
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-30, 16:17

I just had to look. Now I know how my parents must have felt 40 years ago B-)

Looks like fun, but I have not enough learning capacity or time left, plus my wife already thinks I spend too much time on games.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#26 User is offline   Antrax 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,458
  • Joined: 2011-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-June-30, 22:20

I saw clee on r/CompetitiveHS which is usually a sign he's into it.
It's kind of funny though, because for me the main attraction is that you can pick up and play it for 20-30 minutes, but I have some friends who've liked sold their soul to it, taking it out and playing whenever possible, including in company and during work.
0

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,526
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-July-02, 08:01

I was logging in and doing my dailies with whichever hero allowed me to do 2 or 3 at the same time for a while but have not played for a few weeks now. I find HS lacks a certain complexity to hold interest and certainly would not spend any money on it. You can make a basic fast mage deck that will take you to Rank 10 or so just from regular cards and if you were lucky enough to get the correct unique from a pack along the way would not be far from reaching the top levels.
(-: Zel :-)
0

#28 User is offline   Antrax 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,458
  • Joined: 2011-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-July-02, 12:48

That was my attitude at first too, but I now believe playing control in HS is actually harder than in mtg. HS doesn't have tutors and doesn't have counterspells, so it's often a matter of making the best use of your situational answers as well as preemptively negating whatever burst you suspect your opponent can muster on their turn, and that's harder than mtg where you often have "blanket" answers.

But yeah, if you're looking for skill than Bridge is probably better :) HS is more like Hold'em, has this blend of skill and variance that lets everyone feel they have a chance (which also means it's very difficult to have a game locked down completely)
0

#29 User is offline   WesleyC 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 872
  • Joined: 2009-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 2015-July-02, 13:13

I'll play basic mage vs Zel at $1/point :)
0

#30 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,460
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2015-July-02, 13:46

View PostAntrax, on 2015-July-02, 12:48, said:

That was my attitude at first too, but I now believe playing control in HS is actually harder than in mtg. HS doesn't have tutors and doesn't have counterspells, so it's often a matter of making the best use of your situational answers as well as preemptively negating whatever burst you suspect your opponent can muster on their turn, and that's harder than mtg where you often have "blanket" answers.

But yeah, if you're looking for skill than Bridge is probably better :) HS is more like Hold'em, has this blend of skill and variance that lets everyone feel they have a chance (which also means it's very difficult to have a game locked down completely)


I've almost given up trying to play it seriously, if I want to do this I play face hunter which is a deck that only contains one card that is in any way uncommon and I so far am winning by far the majority of my games with it, but playing my shaman deck and winning by getting 4 or 5 11/11s out at the same time gives me far more pleasure.

By and large control decks require more difficult to acquire cards than some of the other types.
0

#31 User is offline   Antrax 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,458
  • Joined: 2011-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-July-02, 22:09

Yeah, control usually requires multiple legendaries. That being said, Shaman is one of the classes in the worst shape now (unless you want to play Mech Shaman, which requires 3 epics). There are some good, cheap options to play, most notably the #1 deck right now, Patron Warrior. Other strong decks are oil rogue (typically only requires 2x preparation), tempo mage (you don't have to run a big finisher) and Zoo (classic variant since demon requires Malganis if not Jaraxus). Neither of these plays like face hunter, which probably doesn't fit your play style.

I played the game non-seriously (mostly Arena and silly constructed decks like Crusher Shaman or Mill Rogue) for almost a year and now I started laddering seriously, but back then you got a classic pack from arena so it built my collection steadily. If I were to start today it may have been more daunting - but they did add the "watch and learn" quest, and most likely at some point they'll let you choose your arena reward.
0

#32 User is offline   billw55 

  • enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,756
  • Joined: 2009-July-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-July-03, 14:06

Er, I am not a CCG enthusiast. What does "playing control" mean?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn
0

#33 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,526
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-July-03, 14:34

View Postbillw55, on 2015-July-03, 14:06, said:

Er, I am not a CCG enthusiast. What does "playing control" mean?

In CCGs there are fast decks that try to beat the opponent down before they can organise defences; decks that try to stall the opponent to get a particular combination of cards in hand that will lead to victory; and decks that prevent the opponent from carrying out their chosen plans while (usually slowly) building to a position of overwhelming advantage. There are some variations but this is a simple model. The last of these would be the control decks.
(-: Zel :-)
0

#34 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,460
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2015-July-03, 16:40

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-July-03, 14:34, said:

In CCGs there are fast decks that try to beat the opponent down before they can organise defences; decks that try to stall the opponent to get a particular combination of cards in hand that will lead to victory; and decks that prevent the opponent from carrying out their chosen plans while (usually slowly) building to a position of overwhelming advantage. There are some variations but this is a simple model. The last of these would be the control decks.


Where do tempo decks fit into that definition ? Your third definition covers both tempo and control in different ways IMO.

Tempo: try to trade cards more than one of theirs for each one of yours and eke out an ever growing advantage
Control: try to survive the early turns by thwarting the opp's plans till you can bang down all your big late game cards
0

#35 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,526
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-July-03, 17:32

I did not mention tempo decks because the way a player gets card advantage and the significance of that vary greatly from game to game and I felt it would confuse matters. There are also control-combo decks, decks that start off with a low, fast mana curve but switch over to a control condition later on and plenty more. As I wrote, it is a simplified model designed as an aid to someone new to CCGs.
(-: Zel :-)
0

#36 User is offline   Antrax 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,458
  • Joined: 2011-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-July-03, 21:22

The prototypical control deck in HS is Control Warrior. This is a deck which revolves around getting armor (countering the plans of fast, aggressive decks), removing key minions with weapons and efficient removal spells (disrupting the plans of decks that revolve more on valuable minions) and ultimately knocking the opponent down to 15 using the ability of Alextraza and then finishing them off with the 12 damage combo from Grommash + Cruel Taskmaster. That's a bit of a crude description as it makes the deck sound like Freeze Mage (when in fact it does play non-garbage minions and attempt to keep board control) but the idea is the deck's win strategy is prolonging the game and playing very high impact cards - which is why the deck is so expensive, relying on multiple legendaries.
0

#37 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,460
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2015-July-05, 05:20

View PostAntrax, on 2015-July-03, 21:22, said:

The prototypical control deck in HS is Control Warrior. This is a deck which revolves around getting armor (countering the plans of fast, aggressive decks), removing key minions with weapons and efficient removal spells (disrupting the plans of decks that revolve more on valuable minions) and ultimately knocking the opponent down to 15 using the ability of Alextraza and then finishing them off with the 12 damage combo from Grommash + Cruel Taskmaster. That's a bit of a crude description as it makes the deck sound like Freeze Mage (when in fact it does play non-garbage minions and attempt to keep board control) but the idea is the deck's win strategy is prolonging the game and playing very high impact cards - which is why the deck is so expensive, relying on multiple legendaries.


Handlock also.

Play as few cards as possible and use your hero power to build your hand size while not dying.

Play huge creatures that start with a huge cost but that cost drops as you lose health or gain hand size, give them taunt so you're safe and unleash them on your opponent.
0

#38 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,526
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2015-July-05, 07:13

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-July-05, 05:20, said:

Handlock also.

I would consider the prototypical control decks to be pure counter (often but not always combined with a single self-protecting creature); mana denial; tap out; mill; and stall-draw but again there is a huge variety and it depends a lot on the mechanics of the game being played. That most of these are not available in HS is an indication of its lack of complexity. My favourite control deck was one that used a large amount of damage redirection plus a mill win condition. I also loved the Opalescence deck (Urza's) although I was always missing a few cards to make the full version of it.
(-: Zel :-)
0

#39 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,346
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2015-July-06, 05:32

View PostAntrax, on 2015-July-03, 21:22, said:

The prototypical control deck in HS is Control Warrior. This is a deck which revolves around getting armor (countering the plans of fast, aggressive decks), removing key minions with weapons and efficient removal spells (disrupting the plans of decks that revolve more on valuable minions) and ultimately knocking the opponent down to 15 using the ability of Alextraza and then finishing them off with the 12 damage combo from Grommash + Cruel Taskmaster. That's a bit of a crude description as it makes the deck sound like Freeze Mage (when in fact it does play non-garbage minions and attempt to keep board control) but the idea is the deck's win strategy is prolonging the game and playing very high impact cards - which is why the deck is so expensive, relying on multiple legendaries.


I got my best rank with control warrior, I have most legendaries that are worth something.
0

#40 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,460
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2015-July-06, 05:38

View PostFluffy, on 2015-July-06, 05:32, said:

I got my best rank with control warrior, I have most legendaries that are worth something.


I don't have the cards for wallet warrior.
0

Share this topic:


  • 22 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users