BBO Discussion Forums: Two hands - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two hands Unauthorised Information

Poll: What actions do you seriously consider? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Hand One - Logical Alternatives

1. Pass (10 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

2. Double - showing a maximum passed hand (9 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. 2H - any naturalish meaning (23 votes [47.92%])

Percentage of vote: 47.92%

4. Something else - please state (6 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Hand Two - Logical Alternatives

1. Pass (15 votes [30.61%])

Percentage of vote: 30.61%

2. Double (7 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. 2S (27 votes [55.10%])

Percentage of vote: 55.10%

4. Some other action (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-June-29, 11:30

At white I would bid on both - partially because the honour cards look as if they are lying well for us (can lob finesse through declarer's Kings to partner's queens on the 1st one) and it is likely that my Kings will be offside to opponent's Aces.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#22 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-29, 13:09

My experience playing a weak NT (in a strong NT world) is that weaker players will *never* pass this hand (in either seat). If they're more experienced bidding against a weak NT, that may change matters.

Given the options in balance, I assumed a direct double would be penalty. It's going to be tough to get +200 (hold them to 5 tricks?) undoubled opposite a hand that can't bid and that can't double (say flat 13 *at best*), especially if my defence is worse than declarer's offence (you said "weak pair in a weak field playing a strong pair"). I might double to maybe shake them out of 1NT, but I think I'm bidding - after all, I don't want it to be partner shaking out of 1NT. Again, depends on the partnership, and with a stronger partner, I'm more tempted to double, but it's seriously pajama bridge (especially in a strong NT world, where everyone else knows what kind of fits exist).

Second one; I'm a wimp. I'd definitely think about passing, and probably would. Yes, I have pretty much the best possible hand, but my hearts are poor and the ruff's in the long hand. If partner isn't one of those people who believe in sound overcalls of preempts, then I'm *definitely* passing, we're 10-10-10-10 (or worse) around the table. Sure, -5, but I can be -5 with either choice on this hand.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#23 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2015-June-29, 16:05

View Postmycroft, on 2015-June-29, 13:09, said:

My experience playing a weak NT (in a strong NT world) ...

Sorry I did not say but I suspect that the majority play weak NT in the world where this hand was played. Although more and more are flirting with the (inferior) strong NT ;)
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#24 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-30, 03:01

Is this IMPs or MPs? I don't see any reason to bid on the second hand unless we're playing matchpoints. The upside is a partscore, but the downside is a medium-sized penalty.

The first one looks normal to bid on though.

#25 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2015-June-30, 03:49

View Postsfi, on 2015-June-30, 03:01, said:

Is this IMPs or MPs? I don't see any reason to bid on the second hand unless we're playing matchpoints. The upside is a partscore, but the downside is a medium-sized penalty.

The first one looks normal to bid on though.

MPs
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#26 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-30, 04:50

Much tougher then. I'd probably bid, but I'm not sure there's much in the decision.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users