BBO Discussion Forums: Happy layouts - what would you do next? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Happy layouts - what would you do next?

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-22, 01:37

"All Stars" TM on BBO. Opps are a regular partnership playing some relays and gadgetry they typically alert and disclose properly (in case it matters). Partner is a random star, no special agreements besides 2/1

Now what?

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-22, 01:47

3S

This should be a splinter.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-22, 02:54

disagree...

4s I suggest slam....but hard to bid.

very often end up in 5d

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-22, 04:23

2s

I see no reason to rush things. We are surely happy playing 5d so the opps will not easily outbid us and we may find the bidding has taken a VERY favorable turn if the opps continue to bid. If p is sitting all over lho we may end up with a very nice penalty. Sit back relax and enjoy the bidding as it unfolds but keep your trigger finger ready just in case a clear shot appears and x marks the spot:)

#5 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 04:22

3S seems clear. There won't be the chance to splinter again..
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#6 User is offline   ycos 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-24, 05:47

pass=10
5=9
2=8
3=6

#7 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-24, 06:55

3S. I wouldn't seriously consider anything else.

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-24, 08:44

3 seems like the obvious choice.

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 09:20

I don't know how reliable stars are. In general with a random partner I would hesitate to expend a whole level of bidding when partner might not get the message anyway. I would bid 2 and see where it goes.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 09:48

Oh, he would understand a splinter, I'm quite sure.

#11 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-June-24, 09:49

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-June-24, 06:55, said:

3S. I wouldn't seriously consider anything else.

Neither would I.

#12 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 09:58

I'm with most others in choosing to splinter with 3, but I wonder what was behind the question? Were you thinking of passing (as has been suggested by one poster above), hoping to get a penalty? In my experience that just doesn't work out when we are known to have a fit, and in this case the 2 bid is presumably forcing so you certainly aren't going to be able to defend it. Passing is just going to make it harder to describe your hand later.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 10:04

View Postgordontd, on 2015-June-24, 09:58, said:

I'm with most others in choosing to splinter with 3, but I wonder what was behind the question? Were you thinking of passing (as has been suggested by one poster above), hoping to get a penalty? In my experience that just doesn't work out when we are known to have a fit, and in this case the 2 bid is presumably forcing so you certainly aren't going to be able to defend it. Passing is just going to make it harder to describe your hand later.

Yeah something like that. I screwed up too bad to even begin to describe what happened (was not a happy end), but one of our opponents suggested I should have passed. So I wondered - since it didn't even cross my mind there.

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 11:58

Passing with such amazing support cannot be right. Switch the clubs and diamonds, then we'll talk.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   ycos 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-25, 00:06

View Postbillw55, on 2015-June-24, 11:58, said:

Passing with such amazing support cannot be right. Switch the clubs and diamonds, then we'll talk.

pass and then 3,4 or 5 will describe very accurate your hand

#16 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-25, 01:42

I would be very surprised if we have a slam, and while one might think that we can't be outbid here, anything is possible if LHO has a wild black two suiter. Meanwhile the opps have just told us that our heart suit cannot be a slam-suitable trick source. I make what I think to be the practical bid: 5D. I think splintering is ignoring the auction and giving LHO too much bidding space, although I confess that on most layouts the splinter won't cost. I just don't see it gaining, and once in a while it does cost.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#17 User is offline   ycos 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-25, 02:08

View Postmikeh, on 2015-June-25, 01:42, said:

I would be very surprised if we have a slam, and while one might think that we can't be outbid here, anything is possible if LHO has a wild black two suiter. Meanwhile the opps have just told us that our heart suit cannot be a slam-suitable trick source. I make what I think to be the practical bid: 5D. I think splintering is ignoring the auction and giving LHO too much bidding space, although I confess that on most layouts the splinter won't cost. I just don't see it gaining, and once in a while it does cost.

5 is very good bid. I like pass more but after pass , u can be in trouble if they bid quicly 5sp. 5 can be the best bid.

#18 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-25, 06:35

I wasn't planning to post the full hand because it was just silly, and I was only trying to find out whether there are any arguments for passing, but since most people seem to believe our side makes something, here it is:

My X was just a confusion bid. Opps were playing 2 as a spade raise without intervention, and I thought that's what it was in this case as well. Either that, or a psych, I just didn't think it was really hearts for some odd reason (no logical explanation exists, but that's what was going on through my confused head LOL).

General laughter followed where everyone assumed I don't know that a direct X is not penalty. Boo, was not a fun hand at all :)

Neither 5 nor 3NT make.

#19 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-27, 17:51

View Postmikeh, on 2015-June-25, 01:42, said:

Totally agree, 5D is the money bid. Might put LHO in a tough spot with a lot of spades, might put RHO in an awkward spot (they have opened and made a 2/1), they might double you not knowing that your hand is so good etc.
The artist formerly known as jlall

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users