BBO Discussion Forums: managing margins of balancing seat & trap pass hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

managing margins of balancing seat & trap pass hand

#1 User is offline   gedikk 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-21, 14:03

In competition, tighter bidding space and ambiguity of pd's initial pass demand for precise continuation and proper judgement. Here, some East players would pass, however others might prefer to show the good spade four-carder. In the former case, both hands are to coup with some challenges. How about your choice of bids?

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-June-21, 18:14

gedikk, on 2015-June-21, 14:03, said:

In competition, tighter bidding space and ambiguity of pd's initial pass demand for precise continuation and proper judgement. Here, some East players would pass, however others might prefer to show the good spade four-carder. In the former case, both hands are to coup with some challenges. How about your choice of bids?
Some partners would overcall 1 with the South hand but I would pass.
As North, IMO, Double = 10, 1 = 9, 2 = 8, Pass = 7, 1N = 6. IMO, Partner should be prepared for off-shape protective doubles. And If (on a different hand) South bid 2, I'd pass and take my medicine.

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-21, 20:33

nige1, on 2015-June-21, 18:14, said:

Some partners would overcall 1 with the South hand but I would pass.
As North, IMO, Double = 10, 1 = 9, 2 = 8, Pass = 7, 1N = 6. IMO, Partner should be prepared for off-shape protective doubles. And If (on a different hand) South bid 2, I'd pass and take my medicine.

1s by south would be gross.

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-21, 23:34

I would pass as South. As North, I would make a Top and Bottom cue bid. We might now find our spade game.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2015-June-21, 23:55

Never stop loving raptor overcall of 1NT here!

#6 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-June-22, 03:41

phoenix214, on 2015-June-21, 23:55, said:

Never stop loving raptor overcall of 1NT here!

Haven't seen many folks who play raptor in balancing
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-22, 04:22

This is hard to answer without agreements.
I strongly favor a balancing 1NT, which most play weaker than in second position.
Sure the distribution is not perfect but nothing else is either.
There are 3 major reason why I prefer 1NT:

1) It limits our hand. In my experience when the bidding starts this way ( a one level bid followed by 2 passes) the most likely game for our side by far is 3NT. But knowing whether you have the combined power is often difficult.
2) It is important that North eventually declares and East is on lead. Only a notrump bid tends to accomplish this. Transfers work particularly well after a balancing notrump.
3) Partner can use Stayman by transferring into openers suit by bidding 2. (This method can also function at the same time as an inquiry about stoppers in opener's suit- not an issue here.)

However, I would not bother to use Stayman here with the South hand, nor am I convinced as the bidding went so far that 4 is a preferable contract to 3NT.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-22, 09:24

While 3n (rhm) is indeed our most likely game I am unconvinced that worrying about game should be much more than a minor consideration with this hand. If p cannot show enough power and heart control enough for 3n our heart K is nothing but yet another in a long line of wasted values. I prefer the method that gives us our best shot at multiple contracts with small risk
so I would begin with 2c. I would choose this even if I have 1n available as a weaker PO version. What happens next is yet to be determined but I much prefer my follow ups (if any) over my 2c bid than say if I x where dia bids give me stomach pains.

IMHO 2c=8 1n(weak version) = 6 x = 5 2h (michaels or top/bottom cue) = 3 1s = 2

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users