Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AQT3 = 6+

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-21, 13:29

We have frequently seen that GIB, like many humans, will stretch by one point of one card in length to make a bid when under pressure. But...

• Shouldn't my pass over East's takeout double deny 3 hearts?
  • My balancing 2 shows only "biddable" diamonds?
  • Over the takeout double, 1N by me would have shown a hand too strong to open 1N. I repeat my suggestion (frequently supported by others) that this should be a competitive bid showing a hand too weak to open 1N and preferring to play 1N rather than defend it.
  • In the balancing seat after West's 1, 1N previewed as 16+ HCP; 18- total points. Ick.
  • What would 1N by North have shown over West's 1 (or double, for that matter)?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-21, 15:25

This bid comes from a section of the rule file labeled "Improvising". This contains some last-resort rules are intended to make sure GIB keeps the auction alive when it's too strong to pass (this used to be a real problem -- if the robot's hand fell through a crack in the rules, it would just pass). Comments on individual rules are "being overstrength is better than passing for lack of a call", "if stuck for a bid, might rebid any 5-card suit", and finally "or 4-card if really stuck but partner will assume a good 5". That last one is where this crazy bid came from.

I think the bug here is that your 2 bid should show rebiddable diamonds, not just biddable diamonds.

1NT by North would have shown 4+ ; 9+ HCP; 12- total points; stop in ; stop in . So basically the hand it has, but with one of the heart honors in the club suit.

#3 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-21, 21:18

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-21, 15:25, said:

This bid comes from a section of the rule file labeled "Improvising". This contains some last-resort rules are intended to make sure GIB keeps the auction alive when it's too strong to pass (this used to be a real problem -- if the robot's hand fell through a crack in the rules, it would just pass). Comments on individual rules are "being overstrength is better than passing for lack of a call", "if stuck for a bid, might rebid any 5-card suit", and finally "or 4-card if really stuck but partner will assume a good 5". That last one is where this crazy bid came from.

I think the bug here is that your 2 bid should show rebiddable diamonds, not just biddable diamonds.

1NT by North would have shown 4+ ; 9+ HCP; 12- total points; stop in ; stop in . So basically the hand it has, but with one of the heart honors in the club suit.

stop in is an excessive requirement- remove that one. Why not just double but I suppose that's complicated to programme in- showing likely 4 of that major with 10+HCP.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-22, 21:33

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-21, 15:25, said:

And if that were fixed, what would North do over 2, which supposedly shows 14-22 total points despite the fact that I didn't bid 2 directly over the double.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users