BBO Discussion Forums: Enjoy studying defensive carding + adding to your convention arsenal? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Enjoy studying defensive carding + adding to your convention arsenal? 2/1 Adv+ only please

#1 User is offline   P0STM0RTEM 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Walsh Diamond;
    Rule of 20+2;
    Bergen or Hardy Raises;
    Kokish Game Tries;
    Xfer Lebensohl;
    Inverted Minors;
    Gambling 3N;
    Ogust;
    Mini Roman 2D;
    Puppet Stayman over 2N's;
    Modified 2-way, Bart & Meckstroth Adjuncts,
    Wolff Signoff;
    Preemptive Suit Fits Raises;
    Namyats;
    Controls over 2C opener;
    Kickback (RKCB 1430 if strong hand asks and 0314 if weak asks), Specific King Ask, Exclusion Blackwood, DEPO, and I try to cue bid controls more often instead;
    Grand Slam Force;
    Lightner Double;
    Negative and TakeOut Doubles;
    Meckwell, HELLO or DONT Over Ops 1N;
    Over 1C strong (or 1D strong) I like using DONT, Suction, or Mathe;
    UDCA.

Posted 2015-June-21, 10:21

I’m an avid bridge book reader that plays way too many conventions and cares as much about defense as I do employing ambitious conventional schemes. If you’re looking to learn and teach (yes ideally both) plus likes to openly review hand records and feel the same then we may be a good pairing. I’m heavily influenced by writings of Jeff Rubens, Max Hardy, Eddie Kantar, Marty Bergen, Terrence Quested, and Ken Rexford.

I play an Expert Standard 2/1 base including things like XYZ, Top&Bottom Cue, Transfer Advances, BAZE, SARS/ACID, Transfer and Stayman Super Accepts, QQ and Vasilevsky to name a few. Defensively I’m an advocate of UDCA with Trump Suit Preference and Smith Echo plus have dabbled in Rusinow and situational Prism signals.

I fail to adequately count down many hands, will miss some squeezes, can be overly aggressive at times bidding, will occasionally screw up a bid and will take my fair share of bad play lines, but maybe with your help and patients these will be mitigated.

I'm still a member of the working class Pacific Standard Time (UTC-8)

#2 User is offline   spkcp111 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-July-04, 07:30

From you post, I see you're probably better than I--was in bridge lessons for 6-7 years, so I probably play more gadgets than most. We'd have to talk to sync them up.

I was attracted to your post because I think I can learn from you...and I too, am fascinated with defense. That conversation that happens when two players really get each other. It can be quite deadly. I'm also OK with an aggressive partner. I tend to have what I say--but I'm not a wimp, either.

I live outside of St. Louis. I'm w/i a few points of SLM. Qualified NAP's twice. Mensa/Intertel. I live very far from the nearest club now, so only BBO for me. There are a few bids that are really magic--but playing a good solid, consistent, logical game of bridge is 80-90% of the game.

Negatives? For some reason, card counting eludes me...still don't do that well. And when I make a bad mistakes, it upsets me and one bad board can turn into 3. I work on that :)

I program computers during the day (aka, complex problems) so I'm pretty beat when I get home. It'd have to be weekends--unless you're OK with a partner who is a little tired. I'd also like someone I could meet at the Nationals once a year (or two).

I don't believe in yelling at my partner. If something goes wrong, I'm all for discussing it. No one ever played better when their partner was dressing them down. People need to be allowed to have a bad day/blow a hand once in a while. It happens.

We could start once a week and see how it goes, discussing mishaps.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users