BBO Discussion Forums: gib meet stripe-tailed - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

gib meet stripe-tailed pass and then re-open at 4-level?

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-20, 13:09

East's bidding seems a little crazy to me. Was happy to finally be on the right side of it though.
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-20, 13:49

Of course I would have opened the bidding, but having not opened I think doubling 4 is completely automatic. In fact I would double a 4 opening even if I weren't a passed hand. The real problem here is west's pass over the double. I might even pass in real life if south hadn't redoubled since maybe it's down off the top and I could easily go for a number at the 5 level, but once opener redoubles I would believe him and bid something. It's hard to get GIB to understand concepts like that though.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-20, 14:18

I would expect West's initial pass of the double to be based on a comparison of -590 or whatever with the expected minus from bidding.

If it is capable of doing that calc it would be trivial for it to redo the calc with a base of -880 or whatever
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-20, 18:27

Yeah, down 6 doubled vulnerable might be worth avoiding, although it's not a calculation I could have made at the table.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-21, 13:16

View Postjdonn, on 2015-June-20, 13:49, said:

Of course I would have opened the bidding, but having not opened I think doubling 4 is completely automatic. In fact I would double a 4 opening even if I weren't a passed hand. The real problem here is west's pass over the double. I might even pass in real life if south hadn't redoubled since maybe it's down off the top and I could easily go for a number at the 5 level, but once opener redoubles I would believe him and bid something. It's hard to get GIB to understand concepts like that though.

I can understand that JDonn. We'd settle for a simpler concept, that one should very rarely pass takeout doubles without trump tricks.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users