BBO Discussion Forums: 2NT weak 5-5 major + minor - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2NT weak 5-5 major + minor Anybody with experience of this?

#1 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-20, 09:37

Has anyone of you tried using a 2NT opening as preemptive 5-5 with a major and a minor? So in total four combinations. If so, what's your experience and what continuations did you use?

Inspired by Glen Ashton's Polar Club system me and partner has been thinking of using a Mexican 2 (18--20 NT) in our Swedish Club system. 21+ NT hands will be handled by the 1C opening, and thus our 2NT opening will be free for preemptive purposes (previously we used 2NT as 20--21 NT). Non-vulnerable we're trying out 2H and 2S as in the Big Bang system (2H weak 5-4 majors, 2S weak 5-4 minors). Because of this we're thinking of using 2NT as weak with 5-5 major + minor. When vulnerable we use weak twos and 2NT will be 8--11 with 5-5 majors or minors.

My ideas so far:

2NT---
3C = Pass/correct
3D = Forcing, invitational+
3M = Pass/correct
3NT = To play
Higher = Not sure, but perhaps pass/correct here too?

2NT--3D;
3M = Natural minimum
3NT = Max with hearts (4C asks minor)
4m = Max with spades + minor

I know this opening is Brown Sticker and illegal in many places, but not here.

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-22, 16:26

Could you nt move the 18-20 point hands into 1, the 21-22 hands into 2NT and play Wilkosz?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#3 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-22, 17:40

That's basically what we do right now. Now we play 1NT as 14-16, 2NT as 20-21 and 17-19 NT is handled by 1. When non-vulnerable our 2 show 5M and 4+m or a bad 6 card major, so not Polish. When vulnerable we play natural weak twos. The reason for removing the "minimum strong NT" from 1 is to get better constructive bidding after 1, but also to make it a bit less awkward when opponents interfere (since 17+ "have to act" when they interfere, and I think removing 17-20 NT will help).

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-June-22, 23:54

View PostKungsgeten, on 2015-June-22, 17:40, said:

That's basically what we do right now. Now we play 1NT as 14-16, 2NT as 20-21 and 17-19 NT is handled by 1. When non-vulnerable our 2 show 5M and 4+m or a bad 6 card major, so not Polish. When vulnerable we play natural weak twos. The reason for removing the "minimum strong NT" from 1 is to get better constructive bidding after 1, but also to make it a bit less awkward when opponents interfere (since 17+ "have to act" when they interfere, and I think removing 17-20 NT will help).

Wow that 2 is way too overloaded!
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-23, 02:33

Yes, 2D is very frequent. We're treating it as a five card multi. We can not find out opener's minor unless we have GF values. We're only using it when non-vulnerable. So far the result has been okay.

After 2D we use 2M as p/c, but it may be inv if partner holds the other major. 2NT is a puppet to 3C, either to play there or inv with a major of our own or a GF with a suit of our own. 3C is GF and responder transfers to a five card major (then accepting the transfer asks for minor) and bids the step above their major with a bad six card suit. 3D is inv with support for both majors. 3M p/c, 4m asks for major (transfer/bid) and 4M is to play.

#6 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-June-23, 18:06

We use 2NT as a 3m preempt weakish or 5-5 in Majors 3-4 losers.

3m is a good preempt. it not great but I like it, opening 3m instead of 1m is where the biggest gains are.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#7 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 02:33

How do you define your bad preempts vs your good preempts Ben? I guess that 3m is a good preempt?

From your Chapi 8 FD at http://bridge.downag...tem=s2ftdw1w63o it seems that 2NT was only weak preempt in minor, and that opener did not have any forcing bids over this.

#8 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 09:31

The rule is 3m keep 3nt in the picture even facing a passed hand.

2NT is a serious warn against 3NT.

Of course vul we are not crazy and 2NT vul is still a decent hand but its one where we might not like our chances in 3NT.
3m vul is basically a hand that many will open 1m.

Over 3C i like to play 3M = 6 card suit and 3D ask for 3M (Rosenkraz)
A jump to 4M is asking for a control and keycards at the same time.

over 2NT-- 3C,3D,4C,5C are pass or correct. 4D & 4NT should be slammish but they never happen.

Im the type of player who like to double so I dont like to have no defense in my 1 level openings.

Weve change 2NT-3M to be forcing but it never happened i think. I think when the preempt is very weak new suit not forcing is not that a bad idea but its a bit pointless at the same time.

2nt with a weak preempt in unknown minor is midchart, add the 5-5 in the Majors and its not.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#9 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 17:22

I wonder if it is possible to play 2NT as a preempt in any suit. Perhaps a bad preempt in a minor or a good preempt in a major. That way all 3X openings become better defined. The main downside I guess is that it'll be very hard to take the preempt further.

#10 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 20:19

I feel that in close call you can raise 3M to 4M and pray. Either 3M was going down or 4M is going to have decent odds.

But with a long minor if the suit is crappy 3NT will have no play while 3m may have some chances. S oi feel the positive from good or bad is more important in the minors than in a major.

But its not 100% clear.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users